1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mowing bahia grass with mulching kits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by seven-up, Jun 28, 2004.

1. seven-up

seven-up LawnSite Member
    from la

Most of my accounts are bahia. I was wandering if the mulching kit would be worth the trouble, or just keep side discharging. I worry about throwing rocks out the side at cars/windows/etc.

What has been your experience mowing bahia grass with mulching kits? Do you have to double cut, etc?

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

I have to double cut with my 48" Husqvarna, brand new and set up for mulching.

My old Bobcat 48" walk behind is set up for side discharge and I have to tripple cut for the same thickness. Its about 5 years old. The bigger the blades (abover 20" the best) the better it will cut bahia (also sharp blades help a ton).
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't have a lot of experience with Bahia, just about 4 months, but my Exmark lazer z hp cuts it quite well at 3.75" and below. Higher cuts and it's still pretty good, but sometimes you need to come back on a spot.

That said, Bahia isn't that dense, at least what I'm seeing here, and I bet you could get away with discharging and if you worry about rocks and windows, etc, I would get an OCDC for tight spots. I haven't seen a mulching deck cutting Bahia down here other than mine.

I find it cuts cleaner when mulching at lower heights.