1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mowing bid

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Barrett Landscaping, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Barrett Landscaping

Barrett Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been asked to bid the mowing of this property that does repairs on motor homes. The property itself is roughly 4 acres and the lawn is 2.4 acres. As you can see there is alot of edging. The lawn is to be mowed in its entirety from the street all the way back to along the fence. I have never bid a property of this size yet and want to see if im on track. i think given all of the edging that 60/acre is not off. That would make the total $144 to mow, trim, and blow. any input?

coach.jpg

2. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of equipment will you be using to mow, trim edge and blow. What all is required to blow? What is your rate of production (how long does it take you to mow, trim edge and blow an acre or 1/2 acre). What is your normal hourly rate you need to make to make a profit.

3. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems a bit low for that large of property. Just my opinion. Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Barrett Landscaping

currently i run a 52" vantage and two 48" scag walk behinds. all hard surfaces will be trimmed and blown off. I was basing it off the rate of 60/acre. but with the edging would $175 be better. I figure my crew of three can do it in a little over an hour.

5. Barrett Landscaping

when im grinding out lawns i try and get around $50-60 per man hour. i figured id lower it a bit since i wont have to factor in travel time.

6. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I think you will be there for around 4.5-5 man hours... With that said, I woudn't do that for less than $200.

Do you have to trim / edge around all the parking areas?

7. Barrett Landscaping

i believe so..... im going to get the exact details today though. thanks for the advise guys. the size of this monster and the trimming is what has got me out of my usual bidding comfort zone. i definately want to get this job though.

8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

That looks bigger than 2.4 acres.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Barrett Landscaping

the lot is 4 acres, i figured that the lawn is slightly larger than the rest of the building/ parking area.

10. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ask what happened to the last guy? Ask what there budget is. You would be surprised what people will tell you when you ask. That being said I think your price is still a little low.