1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing car dealerships

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys that maintain car dealerships attack the clippings on the car problem? For me I have been using a toro 2-cycle mower with a bagger for the medians & a walk behind mower with a mulch plate in for the larger areas. I am VERY anal about throwing rocks at cars and or breaking anything at all. Earlier in the year I had a string trimmer throw a small rock at a store front window in which it cost me over $1,600 bucks to fix. I have larger mowers but choose to use the smallest mowers I have to keep in check at all times and controll the clippings as much as possible.

What do you guys do? For those of you who do maintain car dealerships.
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I used to do a car dealership. I used a Walker and collected everything. Had one heck of a time blowing off the clippings from the trimming and edging. Seemed like the wind was always blowing toward the new cars. We would blow off the walks and lot areas, then go back and blow off anything on the cars. It was a big pain.
  3. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

i avoid dealerships all together and have had the opportunity to pickup two of them. One neighbor is gm of toyota dealership another has a used lot. I have the equip/insura but have always felt they could be a real pita.

Good $$$ i'm sure but when start paying for repairs there goes the profit. i don't think it would be a wise idea to file a claim each time. jmo...
  4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

The price would have to be really good to do a dealership.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

You would definitely figure in extra cost due to the risk factor.
  6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I do 3 of them.

Honestly, I like them better than regular commercial properties.

I get paid $400 / month for each one, takes about an hour and 15 minutes each one, each time I mow.

I don't really have a problem with getting grass all over, you just have to be a bit careful.

The dealers I do, they have outside people come in and spray the cars down each week, usually Thursday afternoon, so I try to mow them Thursday morning if possible, that way if the wind IS blowing the "wrong" direction, the cars still get sprayed down when I'm done.

I also like them because they're always lit up, usually away from residential areas, so I'm able to mow them anytime.

If I get behind, I can either mow until 2-3 am to get caught up, or I get some sleep and start them at 3-4 in the morning.

In the past I ran over a 10" spike once, bounced it off of a windshield of a new GMC Sierra. One time, when I had employees, they left one of those portable "Oil Change for 19.99" signs between 2 cars and it flopped in the wind and scratched the car's fenders.

Then one other time I was using a demo mower because mine was in the shop and bumped into the rear fender of a used S-10, put about a 2 1/2" scratch in it.

The dealer on that one said don't worry about it, it was back by the rear fender where it was loaded with rock chips anways.

The other 2 incidents were with new vehicles and the dealer just took the money off of my bill and did the repairs at dealer cost, so even then it wasn't a real big bill, the windshield was $250 and the fenders ended up being about $100.

All this over a period of about 10 years now. Mowing on average 22 times / year, that's mowing 660 dealerships, give or take, and only 3 incidents. All those cars are no different than any other commercial place.