Mowing Clients w/ No Mower!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KevinACrider, May 10, 2008.

1. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

I spent the last month or so doing paperwork and getting my business official. I placed a few ads, stirred up some business and we are 'officialy' open for business this coming Monday (5/12/08) but we actually started a job on Thursday. Since starting that job I've had 4 customers who want me to care for their lawn. I've not even had a chance or the money to buy a mower (we have not started advertising for mowing, we planned on it when a mower was purchased)!

Summary, business starts on Monday, we don't advertise for mowing. 4 homeowners have asked me for mowing quotes anyway and all 4 would like me to start mowing soon. Have not purchased mower and cannot afford to at the moment!

And for the final record, I have the mower picked out. It's a 3 year old Ferris Pro Cut (3-wheel mower) w/ a 61" deck. It has 14** hours on it and the price is $2000 flat. Buying it from a guy I used to contract satellite installations from. Now I'm off to find $2k ASAP.

Sorry for the rant...

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm guessing you're trying to focus more on landscaping?

4. KevinACrider

Right now our focus is small to medium sized tree removal and stump pulling as well as light demolition. I was planning to start taking mowing customers in a few weeks when I can come up with the money to get the mower. But just from neighbors and word of mouth after working on a job site for 1 day, we've had 4 people now interested in mowing services, all of whom would like me to start ASAP.

5. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

pull out that credit card and get you a new mower then you wouldn't have to worry about the used mower being beat up from the other person, you said 14xx hours? if you don't need a z now, just purchase a 36" or 48" walk behind until your business grows.

6. KevinACrider

No credit cards for me, they only get me in trouble. I'm a cash kind of guy. My credit was bombed a few years ago so I've resorted to only paying cash for everything and I've grown to like it. Sadly, it's a much harder way to live.

7. billslawn89

have to pay that credit card off every month..i know a couple other lco's that have that GM credit card and they use it for everything for the business..it earns some kind of points, not sure what but after 2,3,4 years, they get a new, i mean new gm truck for business from that card. pays to use the card..but the key is to not go crazy charging if you don't have the money to pay it off in 30 days!

8. KevinACrider

And that's why I don't use them! My wife has some but we requested that the limits be lowered to absurd limits like $500 so that she doesn't use them. Actually, she doesn't even carry them in her purse. They are in our safe. I can't remember the last time we did use them. I might have to call up a loan shark for this one.

9. billslawn89

ya i agree..a lot of people get into trouble with the cards...best thing to do is cut them up if you don't use them..well good luck and i hope you get that biz up and running...make the clients happy and they will love you forever, and before you know it, you'll be doing more then one thing for them!

10. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

not sure the weather there, i think if it is time to mow you may lose the window of oppourtunity in getting new accounts. Kind of like waiting till june to try to gain lawn chemical accounts