mowing contractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by primetyme1978, Jan 28, 2007.

1. primetyme1978

primetyme1978 LawnSite Member

I am entering my 2nd year and I am thinking about being a contractor for another mowing company. i have not had a meeting with the owner yet so I do have alot of questions for them before I agree to do it. I was just wondering if any one has done this and what opinions does any one have on this. Thanks in advanced.

2. joe the lawn guy

joe the lawn guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a sub but it's a friend so we go together on a set route every tuesday. it was bad at first but after 2 weeks we had a base.( he knows what to do) I paid by the hour

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've done it in the past.

IMO, it's better to get your own accounts, but I understand that it's not always that easy to just go out, load up on them yourself.

Be prepared to be paid 45-60 days out all the time.

This is the case usually, since the people you're working for wait for your bill, and then send it in to whoever they're doing the work for.

If this middle company has other subs working for them, then usually they will end up waiting for the end of the month, sometimes twice / month, and send 1 single invoice to whoever they're being paid from, then wait for the check to arrive from that office to pay all of their contractors.

I've done this for both snowplowing and lawn mowing, no longer do, due to the time frame that it takes to get paid.