mowing Convienent stores

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Apr 27, 2005.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Who hates mowing those gas stations and convienent stores? I mowed a mobile station today for the first time today and it takes alot of extra time to pick-up all the litter everyplace. Little gum rappers and papers. I have seen other LCOs just mow over them but thats just not right.

2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I think its more related to the volume of traffic then the type of place that it is. I do a hospital and it's just sickening to see how filthy and piggish people are. You'll see someone five feet away from a cigarette butt container and rather than go over to it they'll throw them on the ground for us to pick-up. There is usually plenty of other trash too but cigarettes are my biggest peeve. Why should I have to pick it up, I didn't smoke it. I

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Anytime you bid commercials, you need to factor in garbage pickup time. I still remember 7 years ago when we started, we had this medical complex which was near some convenience stores.... what a mess, stuff constantly blowing over to where we had to cut. We learned our lesson fast.

4. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

We learned very quickly on that one also, we have a couple crappy strip malls on busy streets where it seems to take a lot of extra work to get all the trash picked up. We bid these type of places high so it makes it not quite so bad, but it still sucks.

5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I remember being in the conveniene store management business for many years. Beleive me, it sucks being on the inside looking out more so than from where you're standing. Of all the sucky jobs out there, working in those stores has got to be the suckiest of all suck jobs. Picking up some trash looks like fun to the people working in those stores.

6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

Bag the lawns, then go back and pick up any remaining debris. Our super z with bagger sucks up almost anything.