1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing crew shirts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassmasterswilson, Feb 16, 2014.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Over the past few years I have provided my crew with logo t shirts in an effort to look more professional.

My logo colors are Kelly green and black.

My current shirts are white which tend to show a ton of dirt and grime but less sweat.

I've ordered a few khaki shirts but fear the summer sweat on the shirts will show up bad.

Any ideas of what color shirts work the best? Maybe a happy medium on the dirt/grime and sweat scale?
  2. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

we use green shirts that are wick away material hold up pretty good.
  3. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I like heather grey shirts, closest to white you'll get without looking terrible. Yes, sweat shows up on them, but it's either a light shirt that doesn't make your crew excessively hot, or a dark shirt that makes them look less sweaty, but makes them lethargic on those really hot days. It also matches almost any color scheme. Obviously avoid any dark colors, and don't use neon shirts. I personally think they're tacky and make your crew look like municipal workers.

Also, the dyes in dark shirts tend to turn colors with excessive sweat and dirt.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

that dark color thing and heat on clothing is an urban myth.

hundreds of thousands of muslims dress in black and layers and layers of it in deserts way hotter than whatever the guys we have mowing are experiencing.

I have used blackshirts for years.
    At first the guys did complain about it, until the figured out it made no difference if they wore black or green or pink.
  5. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Gray is still my choice. Will show sweat but I usually have 2-3 shirts with me a day during the summer so I try to look presentable out there. obviously might not be a good thing if you have to outfit crews with extra shirts, but im only solo so I have no experience there
  6. naveslawncare

naveslawncare LawnSite Member

We had khaki shirts and one time and they turned different colors after a few weeks of washing them. Ill never buy them again.
  7. TPendagast

they turned different colors? like those mood shirts from the late 80s?
  8. naveslawncare

naveslawncare LawnSite Member

Yeah, just joking you know how you get sweat rings on your hat it was like that. But it didn't matter how you washed them it wouldn't go away.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. TPendagast

Oh yea…ok…Ive got some GREAT Khaki ball caps that I love…but they are all stained like that..literally ruined… I seriously need to just huck them…. but i like them, but they look like barf on my head….

Khaki pants/shorts/carhartts

love them too, Ive set up a dozen companies with khaki pants and hats as uniforms. but your totally right, you just can't clean the stains out of them.

Why the heck do I keep using khaki? Must be the pseudo military look.

You're totally right tho, the stain thing with khaki is out of control.
  10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think it's the color as much as it is the fabric &/or manufacturer. I've got khaki shirts that are not stained at all with a few seasons on them made by Outdoor Life from Sears and Columbia brand.
    I did have a Cabela's shirt (light blue) do this staining thing...and just threw it out after 3-4 wearing's it looked so bad. Bargain-rack (non-returnable??) be damned.

I do wear a dri-fit type sleeveless T under my workshirts, fwiw.

I'm going to try a black shirt this Spring to see how it goes...just for the heckuvit.