Mowing customer uses Chemlawn for fert has questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tinman, May 23, 2006.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I'll post my customer's question then add some other details... any help is appreciated.
    "I wanted to talk to you about the lawn condition. As you know, I've been
    using Chemlawn for a year now and I'm not really happy about the condition
    of the lawn right now, especially in the newer sodded area in the front and
    backyard. There are a lot of places where the sod seems to have eroded away
    exposing the dirt underneath. For what I'm paying them, I think the lawn
    doesn't look as good as it should.

Do you have any recommendations on what I can do to improve the lawn? "

The newer areas he is talking about were put in shortly after the main lawn was put in... When the sod (bermuda) was put in it looked terrible (brown & ragedy). It must have been from a different place maybe , because it looked alot worse than the main lawn that had been sodded a week or so earlier. I aerated it all in the spring also.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of tru-brown. His lawn would be literally healthier with NOTHING on it than to have that crap put on it. Do some research on nitrogen stress and that will tell you the whole story. They don't give anything to replace the REAL plants needs, and the N just makes matters worse because of it.
  3. bmh1202

bmh1202 LawnSite Member

I agree. tell them to dump chem-dog. I can't tell you how many estimates I've done this spring that look like crap. The customer says "i had Chemlawn..." all i can say is ' I can tell'. between the heat strees from last year and their applications, there are a lot of lawns that are toast in my area.
  4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I love Chem Lawn. Great for business. Not only do you get the applicatrion business, there is usally a hefty chunk of seeding to do too!!
  5. gren4golf

gren4golf LawnSite Member

i to love chem lawn lots of reseeding and guys near me like to spray over edge of shrubbery beds lots of nitro good for my business not thiers
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

As long as TruGreen is around, we'll stay in business! Most of our customer base is made up of TruGreen haters. TruGreen has a National cancellation rate of 40% ....... that has to tell you something. In our market (Des Moines, IA) they push 7 or 8 applications. This is a total ripoff. Their first treatment consists of 1/2 pound of "urea" per 1000 sq ft -- the cheapest form of quick-release fert there is. (Iowa State says "What was the late fall winterizer for?)

Our program was developed by our state's 'land-grant university'. It calls for up to 5 treatments per year (all slow-release).

Our lawns always look much better than the "TruGreen lawns".

TruGreen is a total ripoff - not just in Iowa, but all over the Country - as we hear the same "stories" from people throughout the Country who transfer here.

Most common TruGreen complaints since they came here in 1989 are:

1) Ghosting lawns.
    2) Doing the front but not the back.
    3) My neighbors' lawns look green, but my lawn isn't.
    4) Calling me all the time to sell me stuff I don't need.
    5) Applying treatments I never requested.
    6) Showing up the same day or the next day and treating my lawn after I already cancelled over the phone >>>bad mistake - get it writing with this outfit.

I could go on and on.

There used to be many websites regarding TruGreen complaints ........... nearly all of them have been "bought off" and deleted!

I could tell you many stories that former TruGreen employees have told me, but it is a very long list.

TruGreen is the only lawn care company I tell friends to avoid. It's a sad deal, as I began my career with ChemLawn in 1977 - pride, quality, etc.

In the 1980's, ChemLawn was bought out by 3 differnt corporations:

1) Ecolab
    2) Waste Mangement
    3) TruGreen

If you trust TruGreen, I have a bridge to sell in Omaha -- cheap!
  7. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

I am in business with a golf course supt.

There are a couple of companies here in town that do chemical treatments.

It isn't even close when we compare yards. We're pretty small, with only 40 chemical and 20 or so mowing accounts, but we don't have one customer that isn't completely satisfied.

We do a six or seven step program, with variances for turftype.