Mowing Deck Underside Paint/Grass Sticking

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by vettenuts, Mar 13, 2006.

1. vettenuts

vettenuts LawnSite Member

Well, I am going into my second full season with my Simplicity ZTR. I love the machine, but I currently have the deck in the basement and am somewhat disappointed in the paint job. It is coming off the underside in sheets, literally. I am using a shop vac to strip off the paint. Has anyone else run into this?

Main question, is there a way to keep the grass from sticking to the underside of the mowing deck?
  2. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

I used it on my exmark mower deck and it worked like a charm. Make sure that it is clean first. I would check after each mowing and see how much grass is sticking. I found out that there usually wasn't any grass under the deck even after 15 hrs. of mowing on my mower.

Hopefully this helped.
  3. vettenuts

vettenuts LawnSite Member

You mean something like "PAM"?
  4. Larry Davis

Larry Davis LawnSite Member

Don't take this wrong but, it is common that homeowners seem to want to keep the undersides of mowing decks nicely painted. This is like peeing into the wind! Don't waste your money or your time. Even the most expensive, well made commercial unit's deck underbelly is not going to keep it's paint! Let it go and don't worry about it. As to grass buildup/sticking .......... for many, many years the pros have tried everything ........ Mo-Deck, cooking oils like Pam, WD-40, etc. Spend your money and your time on these if you want but you would be doing yourself a favor to just buy a Jungle Jack (about $150) and take two minutes after each mowing to scrape the deck. All spring grasses are holding a lot of moisture and will stick to anything. You are going to have build-up until later in summer when the grass is dry.
  5. DUG

DUG LawnSite Member

I would spray paint the under-side,then apply a clear coat.When dry give it a coat of wax. :)
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The under side of a deck is like a sand blaster when mowing, Why waist the time and money to paint it. ;) It will only last a few mows.
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I've tried PAM, MoDeck, wd40 you name it I've tried it. As mentioned above, with blades turning at thousnads of rpm's, grass is going to stick to the deck whether its painted or not and sprayed or not.

The one thing I do find with MoDeck that keeps me using it, is that when you do have to jack it up and scrape, the grass comes off much easier than if you did not use MODeck. And the MoDeck does work better once we're past the juicy grass of spring