Mowing direction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Redmowers, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

Does anyone ever find an advantage to mowing a certain direction faster. Like mowing at a 45 degree Vs 90 degree faster.I always found 45 degree quicker or seem quicker ,and body feel the same or is it just me.:confused:

2. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I like to cut at a angle to the property when I can, I think it looks better. And it helps to change direction too.

I think the best time is made when you can go the longest without turning around as much.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I dont recall at this very moment the actual times it took us but just for arguments sake lets use a football field as a diagram.

If it took us 28 minutes to cut the field from goal post to goal post, it took us somewhere like an additional 5-7 minutes (33-35 total) for cutting at a 45* angle from sideline to sideline. I also believe if my memory hasnt failed me that for us to cut vertically from sideline to side line that this took an additional time of 10 minutes from the original time (38-40total).

Hope this helps.
    Kris

4. I am going to go with these guys here. I think that while a good amount of the time going at your 45 degree angles looks best to the viewer, it does take the most time. Think about it like this: you are going from taking the longest possible runs possible, to all the way down to a run that is about what? 3 feet long, if that? The more times you slow down to turn, the more time you are losing. Now don't forget that you have to do that 2 times. Then if you go the shortest distance then you are keeping a constant, but the constant is a lot of turns. If you go the longest way, they you should be making the best time, unless there are a lot of obstacles.

5. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I myself prefer to go a different direction each week. I do notice that some take longer than others but the lawns look AWESOME, they get the CHECKERBOARD look if you know what I mean. I do prefer angle cuts to any other. My customers seem to like them better also. It just gives it the LOOK!!!!! The lawns that I mow my friends can tell me just about everyone that I cut compared to other LCO in my area. That makes me feel really good that my work is being NOTICED. Go a different way each time and check out the results.

Mowman

6. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I switch directions every week.
    I think the 45 degree pattern takes a little longer. Still gotta do it though.!!

7. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

All of our lawns are striped different every week. Aside from being visibly pleasing it helps not to create ruts on our irrigated lawns and to help reduce compaction in certain areas which will shows signs of this if done too long.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The longest runs are faster,no doubt,the 90 degree cross cuts take the longest usually.I keep 2-4 patterns in a lawn ans rotate between them,I dont no randomly line up different every week,I keep to a pattern,so keep my stripes real defined.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I cut my own lawn at 45 degrees to the roadway. but my own lawn is the only one.

it looks sOOOOOoo good! there can be no doubt that a lawncare nut lives there!

I even double cut now even if there is no need because of maintaining the stripe.

it doesn't matter whether you go up the road or down the road. when you look at my lawn from the road you get a big stripe!

and to do it right, it takes longer. because you have so many "short rows".

GEO

10. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

When I found the 45 Degree way to be quicker was on odd shaped lots ,with alot of irregular beds .But normally the longest runs with less turns just has to be quicker.