1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mowing doesn't include leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drew Gemma, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

I know this has been drug threw the mud more than an old chevy but this year I am not even gonna talk to people who expect me to do more for less. Last year I spent so much time explaining that a $35 doesn't include 2.5 hours of leaf clean up plus disposal. they didn't want to pay for leaf clean up then I just mowed over them and left which lead to them calling me back begging for leaf removal after they found out thats just how it is I did have one drop me but oh well. So this year I want to type a letter and kindly say that leaf clean up is a whole diff. service and if your yard is a mow and bag you will pay for the extra time and a dumping fee or you don't get bagged. Just wondering thought ideas suggestions comments or previous experience. Cause when the leaves fall I don't have time to hasle with pita customers I gotta be making money.
  2. Drew Gemma

how do i get this back to the top or repost it.
  3. Billz

Billz LawnSite Member

Well, this is what I did last year. I stated to my customers that "lawn mowing season" ended when the leaves were on the ground, then it switched to "leaf clean up time" none of them complained at all.
  4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We don't take on customers unless they sign up for a spring and fall cleanup, billed seperately from "maintenance". :)
  5. Drew Gemma

thanks Billz that is a great idea and a great selling point I like that alot thats what this site is all about sharing great ideas like that thanks again. People will like that it sounds better than hey if you want these leaves picked up your gonna pay or I am outta here :cool2:
  6. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

All of my lawns are by the hour so it really don't matter to me.
  7. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

My regular customers know that the first "mow" of the season is higher priced due to leaf pickup. Any new customers, I walk through the property and let them know what the initial price will be to get the place looking good, and what a normal mow price will be. I haven't had a problem except for maybe 2 0r 3 bids last year, and if they can't understand the amount of work that it takes to get the place looking good and that it is a different price, then I most likely dont want those jobs anyway. Just my opinion.
  8. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have a mowing price and a leaf removal price....If they want the leaves up, I'll charge a leaf removal price...otherwise I just mow it, blow it and go
  9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Leaf cleanup equals an extra charge...you need to decided hourly, weekly, monthly, and/or seasonal cost. You could also think about building the 2.5hrs cleanup and removal into the entire seasons weekly cost...then they wouldn't complain about the additional charge...just make sure you justify the higher cost and why it is so.
  10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Drew,

Check your private messages.