Mowing Dollers Per Hour

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by theturfboss, Apr 20, 2007.

1. theturfboss

theturfboss LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have searched just about every post to get some solid info...thought maybe I would try a new thread. If possilbe, please do not reply based on 1 particular job as opposed to a whole day, week, or month consistantly.

We run one mowing crew out of a truck and trailer. Equipment includeds 2 ZTRs, 1 WB, and various gas equipment. At this point, the crew is made up of 3 employees. As we are about 3 weeks into our mowing season, I am still trying to see if I have the right set up for this year's route. (Mowing is only one part of our business and I do not claim to have it mastered or be an expert!)

When I add up the revenue for the day, week, or month and take into account the 3 employees, I am coming up with about $25 of revenue per man, per hour worked. The crew (of 3) is doing about $75 per hour worked. We are not a one man operation, so my hours worked are from clock in time to clock out time (what I have to pay wages on). Last year, as a whole for the season, our numbers were about the same as they are at this point this season. I will qualify these numbers to the fact that we mow 100% residential.

Obviously we attempt to control down time, windshield time, route tightness, etc., as well as wrestle with the idea of only using a 2 man crew, or two 2 man crews. Keeping opionions on crew size out of the question, I am just curious about those of you who operate crews (not solo ops)...what do you bring in per hour, per man at the end of the day, week, or month?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I think that's about right, I get UP to $30 on most days, it's that windshield time killer, a tighter route helps (mapping out the route before I start the truck saves both time and fuel, line them up like ducks in a row omg this rules).

I've heard say, and I believe this, that a 2-man crew is the absolute most effective, 3 is not bad but don't do 4 (again the windshield time kills you).

You may not think much of solos, but watch out because owner-operators by themselves are serious business, I've outran crews of 2 and 3 before by myself, a lot of it has to do with experience... Because if you're solo it's 100% experience for you all the time, takes a few years but cut 3,000 yards by yourself with the same machines and come around here lol.

See, all that equipment swapping don't do no good.
    Folks may think variety is the spice of life, but nothing beats consistence, practice makes perfect and in that sense, the more you do the same thing over, the better you get. Perhaps if one of you always cuts, the other always trims, and so on...

Beyond that, a 2-man crew should be able to get UP to 20% more done, but once again experience plays a part, and no employee can ever match the owner's zeal and drive, it just doesn't happen. 3 men to me is the same as solo, triple labor at the wheel.

But yeah, 25-30 pmh solo, you can figure in some maintenance as well but up to a point it's in there, you should be able to fine tune it some thou, just if you're bored :)
  3. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

I've ran three man crews before too. Two man crews are more productive, for us. My two man crews cut between 20 to 25 residential/commercial properties a day and revenue per man hour falls between $35 to $40 an hour.
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of years ago I went from 2 man to 3 man crews. That was one of the best business moves I did. Helped employee morale immensly as well cause the guys didn't feel like they were making a career of being on one job at a time. Customers appreciated it as well and they told us we got in and out faster which they noted.

I look to get a minimum of $1200 per day per crew. I run 2 maintenance crews and a landscaping crew of 3 as well that can pitch in and help if the other 2 get behind due to rain.