Mowing fine fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Aug 29, 2001.

1. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, does anybody have yards that are primarily fine fescue blends? These yards give me nightmares! When you cut this stuff it weaves together and sticks to everything, wet or dry. If you side discharge you get lightweight clumps and haze, if you mulch you get something completely unmentionable, and if you bag you have to stop every 20 seconds to clear the chute from the web it wove across the opening. If you try to double-cut you weave that grass together even more. The only way I found is to side discharge once, then walk the lawn with a backpack blower and disperse any clumps or haze; itÂ’s extra work but it beats bagging and the lawn looks good if you do it right. Any feedback?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I only have 1 fine fescue lawn and I have to cut it at 2.5" to make it look good. I have found that that type of grass just doesn't look good cut at higher settings. I hate cutting it when it's wet, but it seems that when we cut that lawn, it's usually wet. :rolleyes:

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

What is that... a thin overlay?

4. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

HATE THE FINE FESCUE. Oh yeah hate it a lot. I can never make it look good. I have tried it all. Best I find is mow short which I hate to do and bag which I hate to do.:mad:

5. cheapcuts

cheapcuts LawnSite Member
    from Boise

So you guys hate fine fescue but how can I make it look good. I am finding it is a big pain. Any answers yet?:dizzy:

6. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Try double blades for one thing if your not already. Maybe mow it lower like EricELM stated. Also are you getting plenty of blade tip speed,are your belts in good shape.