mowing fine, then it just died and won't restart...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cookedonphonics, May 28, 2006.

1. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

Here are the details:

Encore Z48 with Kaw 19hp--270 hrs.
    New plugs, oil, air filter. Was running awesome...until today....

Cruising along just fine and from out of nowhere the thing just shuts down..
    So I think... "hmmm, that was odd" and tried to restart it. It just clicks, I check to make sure my brake is on...it is. Also hit the button to disengage the blades because they were obviously engaged when it shut down in the 1st place, however, since mower isn't running I can't tell if doing that actually "did" anything. Could it be that the engine thinks the blades are still "on" which is keeping it from turning over? If so, how would I disengage the PTO if it won't start?
    And...why might it have shut down in the 1st place?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

ok... so when I have the key in the ON position, there is a click when I hit the button to disengage the blades, so I am now going to assume that it is something else since there is apparently electricity flowing thru there.

I checked to make sure the plugs didn't get disconnected for some reason... they were ok. They are pretty new. I have maybe 5 hours on them...

Could it be a fuel issue? The fuel filter does have fuel in it, but it is not totally full (not sure if this would make a difference or not).

Is there a kill switch I may not be aware of that I somehow tripped?

Any help would be great. I'm getting a little desperate here as I'm already behind for the week. The plan was to cut thru the holiday to try to get caught up... not going to happen obviously now...:help:

3. Tech man

Tech man LawnSite Member

Im not familiar with that unit, but it sounds like you have a safety switch issue

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Bet its as simple as a wire popped off...

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar with this unit either, But the first thing I would check is a fuse, Then check for battery voltage to the ignition switch and out of the switch in the start position. Then check voltage in start position at the small wire on the solenoid, Some units have a starter relay mounted on the frame. Then the safety switches starting with the seat then the PTO switch which has a safety switch incorporated in with it.

It's just a process of elimination until you find the culprit. Electrical problems can be a pain in the azz sometimes and you have to take it a step at a time.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would check for seat safety switch not functional or wire off. That clicking could be power to relay but that seems odd if safety switch is off? Be sure to charge the battery maybe it is low or has lost ground.

7. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

had almost the same thing happen to me last week ,check all the wires one might have come off the ignition or safety switches..

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Probably a saftey switch. Did you check battery wires? They can come loose at times.

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

We had that problem w/ one of our Ferris', it ended up being the solenoid. Try tapping on it & see if it starts up.

10. FIXDISS

FIXDISS LawnSite Senior Member

BTW Rascoe, what did you finally find to be the problem with yours ? Was it the park brake switch or wire off the park brake switch ?:confused: