1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mowing for school district

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JKOOPERS, Jan 3, 2006.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

just wondering if anyone mows for a school district and if so what are some of the pros and cons.
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We do. Some disadvantages can be when you can mow around athletic activities and garbage thrown around. If you are bidding, prepare to go low...real low.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would love to get a contract with our school district, but like rodfather said be prepared to go low. One pro would be that most school districts only require really detailed trimming in certain areas, like administration bulidings, and Senior high schools, the rest are mow and blow with some round up.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

We do and like Rod said it is always low bid. Also be prepared to put a lot of euipment and manpower on the sites.
  5. ajlandscaping

ajlandscaping LawnSite Member

so from what it sounds like being im interested in what you guys got to say mowing for something like this it sounds as if you would almost loose money if you put alot of units out and manpower to do the job and if you have to bid low it lowers the overall income of a decent price on the job
  6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I did this for one season, NEVER again. the students throw crap EVERYWHERE, clothes, trash, shoes, everything you can imagine, and it'll all cause trouble for your mowers. plus you wind up bidding so low you wonder why you took it to start with, the plant manager always complains about it not being right in some respect or other. in plain english, its a BIG PITA customer, not worth my hassle. In fact, I'd sooner walk through a thorny bush naked than mow for the school board again.

This is just for Pasco district schools though, where you are, might be substantially different.
  7. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of bidding on the high school up here but I talked to guys mowing it that are my friends that work for another company and they said it was a pain in the back end. But there is a lot of eye candy!
  8. rodfather

What you have to look at in mowing school districts is yes, you make less per acre than on a residential property. The others side of the coin is your people are getting into and out of the truck all day long (spending a lot of time looking out the window) too.

You can mow at a school all day long and basically only crank your truck and mowers up a few times. Service 20 or 30 residential properties in any given day and you are putting much more strain on your vehicles and equipment.
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly Rod! the way I look at it is one property brings in the same as 20-30 residentials would bring in and there is only limited drive time from the shop to the one site a day and then back.
  10. rodfather

LOL...one of these days I will sit down and figure out when one is better:)