Mowing foreclosures?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You read and hear more and more about people mowing foreclosures. With foreclosures seeming to reach an all time high now-a-days, it leaves a lot of properties out there that get overgrown and in need of serious maintenance.

My question is ... what do these properties usually pay in relation to other mowing jobs. Also ... I would imagine that most all of these are pretty dumpy, over-grown yards that may have many things in them that could damage your equipment (junk, bottles, bricks ... etc)

How many of you mow these things ... and are you making any money doing them?
  2. hess

hess LawnSite Member

I Been Mowing forelosures in my town for the past 2 years. we just go in pick up the juck put it on the driveway cut the grass high and leave no trimming or anything. Most of the the yards or small about half hour and the pay is $75.00 on up. The city dosn't care what the price is because when you go in and do the work they put a lean on the house they can't do anything with it till someone pays the lean on it.They get there money back. Great fast easy money!! I knew the guy who use to do it befor he got out of the lawn mowing service did one and took him 2 hours walk away with a $ 200.00 check.
  3. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

I think he probably means lender owned hess.....VS what you do which is mow for the city/county tax entity where you are sure to get paid.....I mow for the code enforcement in my town so I am sure to get paid for those

but from what I read on this and other sites lender owned propertys are something you really want to cover your azz when dealing prepared to demand payment or stop mowing after 1 prepared to file a lean fast because the lender will gladly not pay you and dump the house next week and too late for your lean....document with photos (they require polaroid in my city because can't be computer altered) the work you did before and after and make sure the shot has a "permenant landmark" in it

there was a thread on here a few weeks back asking about a national company that takes care of lender owned and "investor" owned properties and the final word from most was too much changing BS requirements to make it worth the effort and always trying to lower the amount per cut after you start for them

and yes the properties i cut have crap everywhere....cans, bottles, walmart bags, hiking boots, a telescope :confused:, BOARDS WITH NAILS....old name it BS is EVERYWHERE

but it can pay OK if enough on the list are not Already Been Dones (ABD) which means the property owner did it....but usually with those the owner did not do the alley and those pay the best and I can get it done before the resident even has a clue...and in my town they will hit the whole block if they come for one house so you can get an alley or two close togather and you can do well :)

also be prepared to be insured on liability and vehicle working for any lender or city gov entity
  4. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Yes i forgot that part i work for the code enforcement in my town but most of the house's are empty they left and can't find the owner or the bank has it and they won't do anything about it. So far there are 15 more to do this year and there all mine!!:) :)
  5. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

We only do the ones that are already in the towns that we service. That way we can run by them quickly and do a quick walk thru of the lawn to see if I will even bid on it. I really love when they say they have a pre-autherized price for the cutting and that I could start right away. I always laugh at them give them our price and somtimes we get them but most of the time we dont! But thats just fine with me as we have enough to keep us busy and really cant take chances on breaking a mower down when we need them.
  6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I recently picked up a few direct from Freddy Mac the pay is great $75 weekly and no questions also the initial cleanup is $300 also no questions send a bill at end of month and you will have a check in 2 weeks I was not so sure about the system but so far its been good \

Those were the totals given to me from the rep from the forclosure division
    $300 up to is auto approved for initial cleanup same for $75 weekly mow

My aunt owns a realty and she directed the rep to me and so far Im happy
  7. kooba

kooba LawnSite Member

This is my first year in the mowing business and we have 16 forclosure homes. All are bi-weekly. Some of the homes were in pretty rough shape, we had to use a brush hog just to get the long stuff down. Some of the house were already mowed by the neighbor so they were in pretty good shape. We get a dollar a minute for what it takes to mow and trim, plus a little drive time we add on. Not to bad I guess. I hope we get paid also. The guy seems to be trustworthy, we know his wife. Kooba.
  8. bowhunter74

bowhunter74 LawnSite Member
    from mo

I do some also (biweekly). I get a really good chunk for the "clean up" then mow every other week at the least they run $45. My fastest one I did in 17 min (solo) out of the truck mow trim and blow and back in the truck. I did a trash out (clean out the house) a few weeks back for $500 not bad for 2 hrs. The realtor that i mow thease for pays me through the office and they bill the bank so I have no problem getting paid. I like them because I can do them the first of the week.