Mowing Frequency

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by vipermanz, Sep 8, 2001.

1. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

This is about my lawn so i put it here,,

Is it okay to mow my lawn every other day, as far as health go's?

it gets mowed at 2.5inches if that makes a diference,also it's st augustine.
  2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Must have alot of time on your hands.You can mow everyday just so the turf is healthy and it can take it.I'm not really an expert on your grass type.If you are mowing every other day, make sure you know what you are doing.(THIS QUESTION KIND OF SCARES ME)
  3. vipermanz

i know have time plenty of it
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You would be better off to wait until it needs it. Take off the 1/3 only. Maybe a little less.
  5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

This time of year I cut my own yard 2 times a week or as needed. Like 65hoss said, try to remove only about 1/3 of the blade.
  6. by following the 1/3 rule, and you are cutting at 2.5" then you should be cutting when you are up at 3.75"
  7. dhicks

dhicks Member

If you are using a 21" push mower I would believe you would be OK. However, if you are running a 500 lb W/B or ZTR then I would say mow every 4-5 days or once per week. The weight of the WB and Z would compact the soil then the turf is subject to all kinds of problems.
  8. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the problem with cutting too frequently as it was told to me:

Every time you mow it opens a wound on each grass blade just like cutting a limb off a tree. This wound does not damage the plant, but makes it more succeptable to disease than a plant without an open cut.

With that in mind, keep the blades sharp and cut when necessary. I think this is more of a factor when conditions for disease are better. Cut it daily if you have the time and let us know.

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

and you replied:

viper*****--don't worry. the obcession with the grass will pass. next birthday you will be 16 and get your drivers license and the keys to the wheels.

you will probably even date!

and sooner than later, your life will have a new meaning.

HECK! you can even drive yourself to the mall!

you are headed for great times. congrats!

10. vipermanz

Thank You!:)