1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing Grass is easy......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coach, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

For fun the other evenig I had my buddies of mine try,key word, to mow my personal lawn...... It was quite entertaining..... It only validates my opinion that what we do is not easy and in a way it is art......
  2. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

Preach on Coach, Preach on......... :angel:
  3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Indeed, I've always said its not easy.
  4. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is art.

Just as anyone can paint a house but it takes a painter to make it look good and not take all year.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We have friends that have a Ford lawn tractor that is constanting breaking down. My wife cuts their lawn whenever it gets high and the rest of our friends know exactly when their lawn tractor has broken down again. My wife takes the extra effort to make sure the lines are perfect and that there are no clumps on the lawn. We also started spraying the lawn after it was voted "most dandelins in the County" for the most years in a row. It's also easy to tell when they get the mower fixed, she buzzes the lawn to the ground.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It takes a LOT of experience to know how to cut grass with a 48" fixed deck, it's NOT as easy as I make it look and even thou this type of work would be considered the same as Light Industrial, you'd still fall under the classification of Heavy (inside light industrial, there is light, medium, and heavy work).
    It doesn't add up to tree work or farming per se, but no, easy it isn't... Try it in Jul-Aug, come on around anytime.
  7. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

You mean to tell us that your buddies can't mow a lawn???? Is there something wrong with them? I mean, let's be honest here, mowing a lawn isn't rocket science. In fact it is the job many kids have before they get a "real" job.
  8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, there is a difference between mowing a lawn, and maintaining a lawn. Which one are we talking about? I refer to our mowing service as weekly maintenance. I have seen guys jump into this profession thinking there is nothing to it, but they don't even have a clue as to proper mowing heights.

If you just want you turf whacked down, then little Johnny would be perfect for this.

So I ask, are we talking mowing in general, or mowing as a profession? There is a big difference. Besides that, most professionals offer lawn services other then just proper mowing. These services would be challenging to many successful CEO's.

Frankly I am sick of hearing about how any fool can provide professional lawn services. If that is what you (no one in particular) think, then your not a professional.
  9. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

There are pro's and rookies in this business.. There is a big difference..

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

And that pretty much sums it up.