1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing guys: Lettering or Magnets

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Jpocket, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I just orderd some magnets for one of my trucks, I've been wanting truck lettering for a while, but I won't do it until I repaint the older trucks white.

I've always thought that lettering was more professional, but lately I been seeing some pretty reputable companies with magnets on thier trucks. And the thing is it actually looks okay to me. I figured what the heck, so im gonna pick em up tomorrow. I do however have licesne plates on all the trucks and they look good, but I just wan to draw more attention when we are in the high end neighborhoods.

So what do you guys think, magnets are OKAY right? I've never had a lettered truck, so this is my chance to see how I like it.
  2. Magnets can be great...as long as they aren't the same old boring rectangular magnets that look like magnets. I have seen some very creative use of magnets in oval shapes and other shapes as well. If they blend in w/ the truck they can look impressive.

I prefer lettering....in fact, I have nothing anymore as I am incognito.
  3. Jpocket

Thanks...I've been pretty incognito for a while, but im trying to really get a branding thing going so when we pull into a neighborhood, the customer says Oh...thats the company we got a doorhanger or postcard from, I didn't know they did alot of our nieghbors
  4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Lettering is cheap, they can come already spaced out on a sheet you just have to make sure its level. I just got a price, a canadian price, for my phone number in 11" font spanning about 5 feet on each side of my box. 75 bucks canadian. One customer in one month will pay for that. Another 75 bucks for decals on the doors. Under 200 bucks I'm decaled out with my phone number almost a foot high and five feet long. :p

My point is, there is no excuse not to have decals. If I see people working in an undecaled truck I'm thinking they are under the table guys. You can't afford not to have them in my opinion.

Oh and magnets might be useful if you need a car to do estimates or something but frankley they look temporary and that makes your company look bad. IMO.

If you do get magnets make sure your phone number is on them because I here they can fall off while you're driving, lol.
  5. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

i have mine lettered,i see a lot of guys with magnets and they chose shapes or patterns that are hard to read or they stuff so much on them you gotta be five feet away to even make out the phone,i got multple trucks done at the same time and got a good discount for that.
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We have a set of magnetics on one truck, and three on the other (one for the tailgate). They bring us absolutely nothing as far as extra calls. I was thinking about having one of the trucks painted and lettered up but I'm really wondering if it does anything at all...I don't as of now.
  7. Jpocket

Im not really expecting to get any calls, It's just for branding, and an added touch of professionalism. Thing is I realized that I can cut next door to someone for years, and when they get a post card and call they had know idea that we were mowing next to them, B/C none of the trucks are lettered.
  8. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I think that's the key. I had my truck lettered last spring, and I don't think I've had a single call that came solely from the truck, but I'm sure that it helps people remember who I am when they get a card or flyer, or look in the phone book.

And I like the sig line. I always heard it this way: "Good, Cheap, and Fast: You can have any two, but not all three".
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you know anything about magnetics, heat (high temps) kills magnetism. It is the reason electric motors die over time, as the heat from the motor slowly leeches the magnetic force out of the magnets. With 100+ degree summer temperatures, those 50-some dollar signs can become weak without notice, and fly off as you're going down the road. Speeds as low as 40mph can make them come off, and they can even come off brand-new if they're not on just right.

And, it would cost me close to a thousand dollars a year in extra insurance if I put letters of any kind on my truck. Most people who don't see this extra cost is because they're already paying it (letters or not, most insurance co's charge a high commercial premium).
  10. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I have found my signs, while in a neighborhood, to be quite advantageous lately. They see your truck and they have something they would like done and you may very well have yourself a job. And this is with magnetics I might add. I did recently get my web address lettered on my back window, but technically I am not allowed to advertise in my neighborhood due to zoning regulations. It is my personal truck too. I keep my signs on the fridge, the lady at the sign shop suggested that, not sure if it is the temp or just an easy place to keep them flat. I don't drive on the highway with them that much, usually one on the back, so they don't fall off. I'm not a mowing guy but that is probably irrelevant to the issue.