Mowing head for KX161 excavator

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Oct 19, 2008.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I am looking for a mowing head for KX161.
    Flow is 20 gpm.
    Mostly for rough brush with an occasional 2 to 3 inch tree.

I have looked at some rotary mowers.Whats your opinion on them?

2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Go with a flail type from US Mower or Rock hound, rotary mowers throw material and leave often kindling wood behind. Flail's grind everything down and they are more efficient, rotary mowers have the most power at their tips, flails have multiple cutting edges to shred and destroy brush.

3. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I would go with a US mower EX 40 super samurai brush flail you will be very happy with it and US mower just change the blade bolt to a new style that you can change the knifes with hand tools and don't need a impact.PM me and I will give you some more info.

minimax

4. trailmaker

trailmaker LawnSite Member

I have about 300 hours on my us mower (flail) and it has been really bullet proof. I have jammed it up with hidden fence wire or thick poison oak vine roots at least ten times and it still works perfectly. I've seen video of rotary heads and they look sloppy and unwieldy compared to the flail. Check out my post from yesterday for a time lapse video of the us mower in action on a TB138FR.

5. AWJ Services

from Ga

I will be using it for maint around tress I do not want too damage and also pond maint.
    I have a tractor mounted bush hog and can use it for large areas.

How well do they do if you cut the foliage too the ground as far as damage too the mower.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

This is my brother's 52" ProMac Disc mower, 51 GPM @3500 PSI and this was as close as I could get.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUvF-DDMnrY

Even my brother gets second thoughts about Flail type mowers, especially when working near buildings.

7. trailmaker

I mow my own property which has almost no rocks, so I always try to mow to the ground. If you have rocky ground I'm not sure it would be a good idea to go all the way down. Minimax can probably chime in on that issue, he has probably worked in more varied terrain than I have. On thicker stuff I come at it from the top down little by little and it usually becomes tougher the further down you get and you have to slow down a bit. Sometimes it's faster to leave little stumps and make a final pass ripping them out with the bucket. There's a learning curve with these excavator mowers but once you get the technique down it's a really useful tool.

8. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

These flail mowers are tuff but are not a cold planer.On the kifies I have hit lots of rocks and have not ever broke one but have bent them.The triple blade degin helps cut much bigger stuff,it acts like a raker tooth in a saw blade.The kifies last about 300-400 hours using both sides and will cost about $325 for a full set of kifes on a 3 blade set up cutter shaft in a 40" head.Your cost per hour is about $0.81 to a $1.08 based on 300-400 hrs it does not get much cheaper. You can cut right to the ground even if the is rocks but you have to watch out for people,animals,cars,houses,etc. you can throw a rock over 300 yards or 900 ft ( yes that is the right number I have done it and have broke the window to prove it.but a flail will aways throw stuff the same way,rotays throw stuff 360 dereges inclueing at you in the machine.

9. AWJ Services

from Ga

How well do these mowers do on small sweet gums and pine trees?

As far as mowing speed how much ground can I cover with them?

10. trailmaker

I don't have either of those types of trees. As far as covering ground, it depends on the situation. If you've got a level area a track loader or wheel tractor will be much more efficient. But certain places, like in my video, can't be accessed with a track loader or tractor so the excavator mower becomes very efficient.