Mowing height of Bermuda for winter

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by drelgan, Oct 4, 2007.

1. drelgan

drelgan LawnSite Member

We have Bermuda on our football field. Problem is we are in Southern Indiana and we get pretty cold in the winter. How should the cutting height be from here to the when it goes dormant? Last couple years I have raised the height the last month for more ground cover and insulation during the winter. I just hate to see all the thick dead grass when spring comes even though the Bermuda seems to recover ok. Any suggestions or are we going in the right direction.

2. madokie

madokie LawnSite Member

After over 40 years dealing with bermuda on foot ball fields, pastures, and in lawns, I think you should be cutting the bermuda at about 3- 3 1/2 inches to provide as much winter cover as possible. Begin in the spring with the grass at 1 to 1 1/2 inches and raise the height each 6 weeks til you get to the 3 1/2 inch height. I would not overseed with a ryegrass blend because it will delay the bermuda greening up in the spring. Also, stay off of the dormant bermuda during the winter months. In Western Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma the schools tend to want to play soccer on the foot ball fields and they usually overseed with annual ryegrass, but you are really damaging the bermuda.