mowing height of cool season turf

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by americanlawn, Oct 2, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Am I the only one mowing Kentucky bluegrass at 3 inches now? I know this is a stupid question, but it's hard for me to find a customer's lawn that actualy measures 3 inches after it's been cut. Then there's the string trimming..........not a pretty picture.:usflag:

rscvp thanks

2. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I just moved mine down to 4" on the scag a few weeks ago.... it measures that on pavement but I think on the lawn it's more like 3 1/2.

I know what your saying though the one lawn that aerified friday looked like it was cut down around 2"... :(

-TAZ

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

since i am always doing alot of cutting still I watch for amount of dew temperatures and rain fall and if someone threw fert down. I am aalways adjusting the height I will mow at 4 on my mowers until Nov. first. then every wek we work it down as low as it will go until were done lat november first dec. plus it helps with the leaves when it is short. 80% of my lawns are by the cut rest are flat rate through the year. I can get 33-35 cuts a year in years when the rest get 28-30. Just depends what you want. Face it most ppl think a green lawn is a good lawn keep it green ppl thnk your good. I have done it for 6 years this way and we already have a rep as being a premiun provider but all i do is keep it tall nothing special!

4. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

I AGREE DREW the ppl who let me do what i want, have green grass right now. and ppl who insist on the astro turf look have dirt yards right now.
    my older bunton at its highest is around 3 -3/4
    but i think 4" bluegrass looks fuzzy, i cut mostly fescue and weeds
    i dont think bluegrass getts very tall before it starts those seed shoots i think 2.5" is the max rec. hgt
    oh yeah we are still in "extreme" drought

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't have a set cut hight but most accounts are currently being cut around 3 inches right now. I am over seeding and core aerating so most of my accounts are still running irrigation

6. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I run like 3" cut height, but it depends on temp and water. Also, dont cut down the grass for the last cut of the season.

7. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i have always been told to go into the winter short and not tall

8. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I am cutting between 3.5 & 4" if at all. I put everyone on seasonal contracts last year for weekly lawn maintenance March through October & then per week after or before that. I show up regardless & trim the edges or mow as needed. I walk around the property & pick up trash just like I would normally do. I also notice things that they normally wouldn't so I let them know about it so they can fix the problems.

9. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

but scalping it short, you stress out the plant, which causes it to utilize the plants carbohydrate reserve. This makes it more susceptible to damage early spring. Conversely, dont let it grow to 6 inches either, or your new friend will be a fungicide.

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut it short not to the ground reasons are reduce canopy to aleviat wind burn in winter, reduce chance for snow mold. Also leaves roll right on by. Blue grass does need to be short for winter and some fescues look better. As far as seed head in the spring for a few weeks we might get it if we are over 3.5 other than that never really had a problem.