1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing height problem...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by UGA, Apr 15, 2002.

1. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I have about three acres and about 40% in the back is bermuda while the rest is a mix of fescue and (I hate to say it but weeds) and it obviously doesn't grow anywhere as fast as the bermuda. I plan on aerating,seeding, and fert'ing in the next week and will not mow for at least 3 weeks but once I get a good yard of fescue going in the front I am thinking about having to cut at 2 different lengths from front to back and with a non floating deck that is kind of a pain. I'm wondering if I can cut both at 2.5 to 3" and leave the caster spacers alone.
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my advice would be to wait until fall to overseed. get the weeds now.
  3. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I would wait until next fall to overseed but we will probably be moving from this house within the next year and I would like to get the grass in better shape for this summer instead of waiting. As much rain as we are having this spring it should grow pretty fast and if not I can rotate the sprinklers for awhile. This area that I'm talking about really looks bad as we used to drive over it as part of the driveway before I brought in gravel a couple of months ago. Now it's slowly coming back but the ground badly needs to be run over with the pull behind aerator and a 4 wheeler to get it receptive to take the seed and fert. What potential problems am I lloking at with overseeding now as apposed to the fall.
  4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You are looking at much of the new seed not making it through the stress of summer's heat.