Mowing Height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nspa, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Nspa

Nspa LawnSite Member

What height do you guys cut the grass at? Some people want their lawn to be cut to the dirt. I have always cut at about 3in, it looks better and the lawn stays more stronger and healthier. This is on cool season grasses.

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

3 to 3 1/4 i have some customers that insist i cut at 2 but i dont, i just say i lowed the deck :) .I found anything shorter than three is starts to look brown and burns out faster.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is my rule: 3 inches.

Yes I'm familiar with this, 98% of customers - no problem. But some folk wanna get all keen on this thing with the blade-height.

Smile a lot and Nod your head in agreement, be nice - This helps.

And Remember:
    RULE: 3 inches
    NO exceptions.

Smile some more.
    Nod your head as you truly understand the problem.
    Then, cut at 3 inches.

Yesss, uhm-hmmm. yup yup.
    Sure thing.
    3 inches.

Last resort:
    The customer is FURIOUS and this is it: Cut lower or DIE!

Tell them you are sorry.
    Pack up, and leave.
    Wish them a nice day.
    Smile some more.

3 inches.

Final word of advice: *Never* break your own rules.

4. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

whatever the customer wants it at.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'm doing most of them now at 3.5, with a few at 3.25.

6. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I'm cutting them higher now. I'm cutting a fair number at 4 inches. The rest are mostly at 3 and a half. I'm doing just one at 3". Of course, nobody is complaining. They trust my judgment.

I've noticed that the guys cutting at 3" are creating lawns that will be in trouble sooner. I think a lawn looks better in a green color than the alternative.

I see no reason to cut low right now.

7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

3 - 3.5 Never under 3.

8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I always mow at either 2 3/4" or 3 1/4" (depending on the lawn). NEVER lower than 2 3/4".

9. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

The golden rule in the service industry is that the customer is always right....even when they are wrong. THey are paying for their service. I have an association president who insists we cut it at 2.5-2.75 inches. I explained to him that this increases the risk of turf diseases and drying out the grass, possible discoloration etc... His response, thanks for info, cut it short. If something does happen, I'll be charging him up the a$$ to bring the turf back to health. In the meantime, he's happy, and paying.

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I cut no lower than 2.75" it just makes the lawn look better, and the grass seems to grow fairly well too.