Mowing height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by garyt, Dec 28, 2005.

1. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

I just recently purchased a Bunton 36 inch walk behind and when I got it home with it sitting in the garage I sort of became worried about the mowing height.

It has a fixed deck. The blades are set at 3 1/2 inches from the ground and the deck outside edges are 3 inches all the way around. I was thinking that the preferred mowing height in my area is 2 - 2 1/2 inches. If I did this then the blades would be lower than the deck area.

Wouldn't that cause blow out and be more dangerous than normal? Should I lower the front tires some instead of having the deck even all the way around?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

You should be able to lower the deck at the front castors and at the rear drive tires. The rear might take a little bit of extra work but on most mowers it can be done.

Generally, mowing height is not adjusted by changing the depth of the blade within the deck.

3. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You should be able to drop the deck down, and get you fine adjustment from undr the deck.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Post a pic of your front casters (wheel). Should adjust height there. We can tell you how. Or post model # that you have. I highly doubt they would make a 36" with no adjustment.

5. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand why you would drop the whole deck to cut at certain heights. I just raise or lower the blades by taking casters from the top and putting them on top of the blade. There isn't any difference in cut at all!

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Most WB's have 1 - 1.5 inch adjustment in the front wheel casters. That should be enough for ya IMO...

7. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

yeah i had an ancient WB where you adjusted deck height with front wheel casters and there was something in the rear i never did figure out...adjusting the front should work out fine though...

8. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

another reason why toro pro line is a vastly superiour wb. easy to change the cutting height

9. garyt

garyt LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the good info!

There is a way to lower the front wheel casters. The arm bolts to a bracket on the deck and this bracket has multiple holes. I just didn't see anything on the rear and I was afraid that it might have too big of a difference in the front to rear.