Mowing Height???

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by FCS Services, Jun 9, 2006.

1. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

Hello - I have a 52/25 super Z, At what height do most of you mow at?? Its usually pretty hot around and I try to mow high (the mower not me!!). I was just curious at what settings ya'all are mowing at??

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not in your area, so I cant really give you a recommendation, but I would try to mow as high as you can as it is getting hotter and drier.

3. 46mack

46mack LawnSite Member

whenever i have moved, i check with the county extension office. just tell or even show them a sample of your grass and they can tell you the optimum height. here in fl we are cutting a little shorter with the lack of rain.
  4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

shouldn't you leave it longer? longer blades help shade the soil.
  5. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Well it really depends on the type of grass,,, Right?

In NJ, in the spring time I'm cutting most at 3.5" and one customer likes it at 4"
    But now at this time of year I lowered to 3.25" but still cuttin the other at 4" (has sprinkler system and is the greenest lawn I have) But I cut this one even in a drought every week.
  6. jpsquared

jpsquared LawnSite Member

i have a 25/60 super and i cut most of my lawns at 2 3/4
  7. FCS Services

FCS Services LawnSite Member

thanks for the input - I've been mowing at different heights to see what works best. I'm finding that every lawn is a little different - But I mostly mow and 3-3.25 inches> I have one commercial site I mow at about 4.5 inches(customers request) . it seems to be working well.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Is this height you guys are cutting at the indicated height as per the holes your in? If so, be cautious as this was off by quite a bit on my new SuperZ. I have it all dialed in now and it's accurate.

I cut one lawn at 2-3/4" (thats LOW for me) and the rest are 3-1/2".