1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing Height

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnmowingboys, Jun 4, 2004.

1. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

I always see discussion about how high to mow lawns and what customers say about mowing heights. (I live in Indiana - rye, fescue, and bluegrass) Customers used to tell me that their lawns looked long and scraggly after I first started mowing their lawn (especially right before I would cut them), then they would ask if their lawn would look better if I cut it lower.

I alway replied, that the grass needs time to adjust to being mowed at this height (3 1/4 to 3 1/2".)

Well after two months of consistent mowing at the same height, the grass adjusted. When I say consistent mowing, I mean mowing on a set schedule (every 4 to 5 days for watered lawns and weekly for non-watered.) The grass developed and grew evenly after having been cut on this schedule. It's as if the grass knows.

I have received compliments from every property owner that their lawns look thicker and much greener.

Case history: An elderly man recently retired from mowing. I had seem him around working and always noticed that he mowed the lawns a little to low. I sent letters to the homeowners telling them that I was interested in mowing their lawn and if they had any questions about the services I offered they could give me a call. When their elderly lawn man retired, they called. At first they all had concerns about my mowing height, but after a couple of months, they all rave about their beautiful, thick lawns. I always give the addresses of these properties as references when I am asked about my mowing height.

Sure we all can give out a brochure promoting proper mowing heights. I just ask that they try it at my height for a couple of months and if they don't like it I can always cut it lower. Then I tell them to look at the other lawns I mow.

They never ask me to lower the deck.

**Clippings in the mulch? Inspect mower deck---1 side closed, 1 side open for discharge. Point discharge side away from mulch. Get a Qwikchute! It'll change your life.
  2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good post, it's true! We often run into the same things as you do about people questioning out mowing heights. Most of my yards are cut even higher between 3.5 inches and 4 inches.

TURFBLASTER LawnSite Member

4. lowmiler

lowmiler LawnSite Member

I am amazed at the low level you guys are cutting. I have only one lawn under four inches and that is 3.75. If I mowed 3 inches my lawns would look scalped.
  5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

2" seems to be a rule around here. Lately though I have been trying to raise the height. Even at 2 1/2" it makes a big difference in the quality of the lawn. Even still, I have one place that insists on 1 1/2". Its gonna be easy in a couple weeks, nothing left.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we like to mow at 3 1/2 inches. Lately............... most lawns 4 to 5 inches to make them look good. One person asked if I could mow it at 2 inches and i said maybe in August.lol
  7. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

WOW! 3.5-4" one could NOT do that in Seattle, it's way too wet and would fall over, not to mention being a mess to cut and would have mohawks. I think it's wild how much things vary from region to region!
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

sure is....... we have one lawn that we cut every 6 days and have to cut it a 5 inches. Still have to double cut and then blow lawn off. That's the person that want's it cut a 2 inches
  9. growinandmowin

growinandmowin LawnSite Member

3-1/2- 4" depending on the customer.
  10. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

eXmark Laser CT 52".

Amazed at the height!?! Remember most of the lawns I mow are at a height that was increased from height they were previously mowed at, some an inch higher.