Mowing Heights on a Scag 48" Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Hartnett Lawn Care, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Hartnett Lawn Care

Hartnett Lawn Care LawnSite Member

This is my second year in the business and have 12 residential accounts.
    I do this with my sons who are 17 and 19. A good way to spend time with them and make money at the same time.

My problem. How do you set the height on a 48" walk behind Scag. From what I can tell you can change the pitch on the casters in the front of the deck.

However, there are spacing rings on the mower spindles. When you put the spindle up through the spindle housing do you put the extra spacers at the top?

Do you ever put the spacers below the blade?

Any thoughts on checking the mower height?

Thanks for any advice.:usflag: :usflag:

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same mower, and yes I move the spacers on the blades and yes I put the spacers below the blade. If I remember correctly, Scag recommends to keep 1 spacer on the top of the spindle( where the nut goes)
    As far as checking blade height, I have my mower on the shop floor (level) and on the discharge side. I use a ruler to measure the height from the floor to the edge of the blade

wayne

3. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

Keep them as high as they will go (as stated above).

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our 32" Scag WB has spacers that can be moved on the front wheel shafts. You just pull the pin and move them around!

5. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

same here, also on scags you can move the deck up or down by the bolt patern where the deck bolts to the frame of the machine, you should have three extra mounting holes..