Mowing hybrid Bermuda on smaller lots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Apr 24, 2008.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm curious what you do when you have a residential account with sodded hybrid Bermuda that is laid on an uneven, rolling, undulating, but small lawn where you get an ok cut with a bigger deck mower (48-52") but in spots you know it'd look better with the 21"

Postage stamps are a no-brainer, whip out the 21". But what about when the lawns are just a little bigger, ones where that's a lot of walking with such a small mower. Do you just do it with the ZTR/WB or do you go for the best cut possible, even though you know it'll take longer and require a mower change in the job which slows you down even further?

I did one last week where it looks good, but could look better. but often the customer never even seems to notice. I know if I bring it up, they'll just be confused. Mostly the bad cut is in the form of a seam on a slope where it meets a flat area or something minor like that.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My larger hybrid bermuda properties, I just give them extra nitrogen and mow them slightly higher with my ztr. It keeps it from scalping and the customer doesn't really know the difference (usually).

I'm not buying a reel mower for just a few accounts. It would make more financial sense to just drop those customers instead.

3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

How big of a lawn? What are the customers expectatons. If your customer expects the lawn to be kept to a high standard explain that it will cost more to mow because of the equipment you have to use. Oh yes I own a mclane reel mower you can find a good one for about 100-150 in good used shape. These are simply awesome if you need or have customers who expect it. Most customers who do will also pay better. You can cut with a rotary mower and make it look great as well. It sounds like your lot will be to rough for the real mower so a rotarty probably would be best. I know you want to use the bigger mower but my thought is what will make you as the lco look the best.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

If you are scalping with a rotary don't even consider using a reel unless you want to spend the time to fix the grade issues. You are right about the client not noticing. Most only see a fraction of what we see.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I load up the old Walker with a 36' deck and it hugs the ground real good and hardly ever scalps. We have scalped a few places in the mid summer with the ztr units and it ain't coming back even when watered.....we ended up painting it because the hotel complained.