Mowing in 100 degree heat.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RECESSION PROOF MOWING, Jun 10, 2011.

1. RECESSION PROOF MOWING

RECESSION PROOF MOWING LawnSite Senior Member

We're getting through the schedules but man is it steaming out there. Wrapped up today about 5pm, usually we stay out til dark. Back at it tomorrow morning at 7am sharp with some ghetto cuts and Overland Park luxury homes...and a big church to end the day.

2. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

I have 17 on the schedule for Friday, and am released from night shift at 6am. The mower starts at 7:30 SHARP. I have a cooler FULL of cold water, a safari hat and a set of worktunes.

This flip is killing me. Just sent out the email to all customers suggesting a watering schedule.

3. lawnman3

lawnman3 LawnSite Member

yes but you could be in florida too...

lots of water sunblock and eat on the regular and a hat is a must have...

lawnman3...

4. tuffram

tuffram LawnSite Senior Member

Or Alabama as well!!! I would love to be up in the northern states during the summer months it is almost like our springtime.

5. RandallM

RandallM LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Agreed. It is getting rough in Alabama. Where is the rain!!???!!

6. tuffram

We got a little rain last night. It was just a light drizzle for about an hour nothing to amount to anything since this was the first rain we have had since April 27 and it has been scorching here every day since April 27. I cut 6 yards last Friday the temperature was 99 out and the dew point was 87, which gave a heat index of 118 degrees it was terrible I went through 7 bottles of water and 2 poweraid in 9 hours.

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Try mowing in 90% humidity when it hits 100*F by 11:00am in full sun with little breeze.
    My a.o. is in the midst of a hundred year drought - by 2:00pm exposed surfaces on the truck or tools are usually to hot to grab bare handed.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Not exactly correct. We just spent 5 straight days over 90 degrees with one at 101 and high humidity. In fact most of those days, we were as warm or warmer than most points in the US. I am certain your avg summer temps are higher, but we are right up there too from June through August with common temps in the 80's and high humidity.

Misconception that northern states are cold all year round, baloney, our summers are plenty hot too. It just we are tough old birds around here, with temp swings of 110 degrees (20 below to 90 above) from winter to summer.

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Yep, it was 100+ yesterday here in PA. Looks like we might get some relief in temps next week. Most of my lawns are already getting heat stressed, all within 2-3 weeks. Went from rain daily to heat almost unbearable all in a few weeks. A few haven't even grown any in the last week.

10. tuffram

I would kill for an 85-degree day down here our dew point (humidy) level never drops below 80% in the summer months. It might get as hot for a few days up north as it does down here but there is no comparison to northern summers verses southern summers. It is a very different world same with northern winters and southern winters no comparison you are also forgetting we do not have a spring or fall season it goes from winter to summer back to winter here. 90 degrees in late Feb. to early march and 90 degrees from late September to mid October and still in the upper 70's to mid 80's at thanksgiving. Where I work fulltime I do allot of traveling up north to IL, OH, MI, during summer and winter and I will trade any summer day in the south with and summer day up north.