Mowing in designs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TTM42, Jun 11, 2011.

1. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

I read recently on here a thread about someone mowing a star somehow in a persons front yard and I got to thinking I have a large church account that has a big wide open space that would look great with a big cross mowed into it some way. Does anyone know of a technique that I can try or has anyone ever tried to mow a design into a yard? Is it even possible?
  2. Poontamer

Poontamer Banned

Lower the deck all the way in the middle of field cut one big straight line then do it again
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Penncare

Penncare LawnSite Member

I will be installing what I hope will be a very unique cross in a church front lawn in a week or so depending on weather and other factors.
  4. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

Post pics when you get it done please and let us know how it looks and how you did it.
  5. Ct Chapp

Ct Chapp LawnSite Member
    from CT

I don't think it's done with different mowing heights. It's about bending the grass in different directions to reflect the light differently. The same can be seen on a carpet when vacuuming in different directions. It's also very likely that you won't see the patterns when you're standing on the grass. I think I read someplace that the more elaborate designs are done with water.
  6. Poontamer

Poontamer Banned

You think he sprayed some of that maybe? That green touch up spray for grass to make it supergreen
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

The only design I've ever mowing in a lawn is "PAY ME".
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah ...

Posted via Solid Device

9. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 LawnSite Senior Member

For what it's worth I once mowed my own entire yard in a circular fashion. I mowed to the exact measured center and worked my way out changing directions when I got back to where the strip I mowed to the center, I even worked all the corners in the same route.

Also for what it's worth I would not recommend doing it, it looked bad and took a long time to do it that way. I was just tired of the checkerboard pattern and the diagonal stripes I was laying down. Just tried something different.
  10. underPSI

underPSI LawnSite Member

Designs are easy to do with a little creativity and a squeegee.