Mowing in Ohio

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bigjoedo, May 16, 2010.

1. bigjoedo

bigjoedo LawnSite Member

I know There are some fellow Ohio lawn care professionals here. CAn anyone tell me the best length to cut grass in OH:

In the spring, and fall

In the summer dry season.

Thanks

2. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

First cut in march @1.5-2", rest of the summer between 3.5-4" and then back down to 1.5-2 for final cut in November. That's how I roll :)

My back yard cut at 3.5

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  3. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

show off!:laugh:

4. dwost

Damn straight! lol :drinkup:

5. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i mow at 3.5-4 inches for the whole summer the lowest i can go is about 3 inches.

6. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

Doesnt it depend on the type of grass he has?

3-4 is typically Ok but if you have all KYB I believe it "likes" to be a bit shorter.

7. rainbowss

rainbowss LawnSite Member

I like to mow my KBG at 2.5 :O

And I believe the previous owners mowed it at 2.0 or less because if I try to grow it, thatch develops.

8. dwost

It does depend on the grass but typically most northern grasses like to be cut higher. My yard (with the exception of the way back behind that tree line is 100% KB and I've been cutting it at these heights for over 8 years without issue. You can cut it lower as it's actually "recommended" to be cut around 2.5" as stated by rainbows. Longer blade length does assists with drought tolerance in extreme heat if you are not irrigated.

9. bigjoedo

bigjoedo LawnSite Member

I believe I have Ohio Mutt grass. :) Thanks for the help

10. rainbowss

rainbowss LawnSite Member

dwost, Can I get a couple of close-ups of your lawn? I am thinking of testing the 3.25inch again. Afraid since its been mowed at low heights for so long, allowing it to grow higher would decrease its density.

I am asking you because you seem to cut low to very high. Have you experienced any decrease in thickness and such?