Mowing in the AM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOLE-N-ONE, Jul 16, 2008.

1. HOLE-N-ONE

HOLE-N-ONE LawnSite Member

I am currently mowing in the afternoon when the dew has burned off .However, I started working 3rd shift at my job and thought about mowing after work say 8:00am. I have seen alot of crews out on my way home from work but, they are working commerical jobs. I have primarily residential accounts. How do you guys with alot of mowing accounts work your schedule.

Thanks for the insight
    Johnny

2. ronniez71

ronniez71 LawnSite Member

I work 4 ten hour nights 3-1 Fri Sat Sun off! That works pretty good for me!

3. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

I mow as early as possible. Stay out of the heat. As long as the custimer does not care. I always ask first, and plan my root around that.

4. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Since I'm part time, mowing on work days must be done in the afternoon, or sometimes, like yesterday, almost into the night, as I finished up with the headlights. :)

Even on my days off, like today, I seldom start mowing before 10:00, and often later. I see guys starting at the crack of dawn, on commercials, but we tend to have a heavy dew probably 9 mornings out of 10 in this area, and I don't like dealing with the wet grass unless it is absolutely necessary. If it were not for that, I'd probably start mowing around 8:00.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

In the heavy growth of spring, it's 4 am until 10 pm.

Right now, we're going through alot of slow growth like most, so it's 9 am to around 6 pm.

Dew-schmew, if the grass has to be cut, the grass has to be cut. It's that simple.

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree its rain or shine wet or dry the only problem with this mentallaty is r junky suburbs have ordinance or laws that say you cant make noise till after 7 or 8

7. Capital sn0maN

Capital sn0maN LawnSite Member
    from SW FL

I usually go to the areas that have a lot of early morning crews out there, I figure if their neighbors are getting their grass cut, then one more crew outside their house wont matter!

8. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

7AM to dark is fair game here. Grass needs to be cut and there's sunshine then we will be out.