Mowing in the cold

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&SFTW, Nov 19, 2013.

1. aaronmg

aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member

Best advice I have heard on lawnsite this year and I wish I could give the source credit but I don''t remember where I heard it. "If the high temp of the day + the low temp of the day doesn't= 100, then the grass ain't growin"....

2. B&SFTW

B&SFTW LawnSite Member

maybe in your area of the country, around here it seems to grow a little longer, maybe more like 80 combined, but point taken. right now I'm getting mostly one time jobs, my repeat customers are done for the year. plus, like I said, leaf cleanup is still going on because they just got done falling. in some places, there are still leaves on the trees.

meets 1, I hate the early dark with a passion, but thankfully now LED work lights and headlamps are coming along nicely as far as output and efficiency goes.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Now, there is real truth here!!!

Why is this so? It seems like working in a freezer. I suppose the problem is lack of movement, ... sitting in one place, strapped in with the belt, and only making slow hand/arm motions. The hands are exposed, fingers out in the open.

I work in double gloves, but fingers take a beating. Yesterday, the high temp was about 34. I had two side-by-side properties, one about 1.8A, the other 1.5A. I work with a 48" ztr. I stopped twice just to move my body. Even so, I always feel I need somebody standing nearby to pry me out of the seat. I'm sure my age has something to do with it, but the body gets stiff as a board, sitting in the same place for a long time.

I have discovered that crossing my feet, keeping the legs and ankles closer, is a help. I normally have my feet spread wide for support.

4. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I like to do one final cleanup/mow before the holidays. A chance to mulch any leaves that have drifted onto the lawns and give a nice look for when friends and families come to visit my customers. They all appreciate that and I get a few calls every year just to make sure I'm going to keep doing what I do.

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I always wait until mid morning. Then go out.

6. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I'm a big fan of two temperature cut off points for work. If it's 104 or warmer, I'm calling it a day. If it's 31 degrees or under or there is frost, I'm calling it a day. Anything else I'll deal with. I don't change the oil I run based on temperature though. I think as long as the engine turns over normally then you will be fine. Perhaps if you have a shop area out of the cold, you could start it and warm up the engine a bit before going out to work?

7. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

True, true.... nothing like being in the mid 30's doing 10mph on a ZTR and feeling like it's 0.

8. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

That was for planting grass. Not for mowing grass.

9. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I just wait until it warms up enough to get rid of the frost. Some lawns still have a few leaves that have come down after fall cleanups. So I just mulch them with the z-turn.

10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Y'all keep messing with lawns until every last leaf has fallen? Up here when the lawns stop growing I am done with them. If they want leaf cleanup they do call me, but it's not part of the deal, and it's an extra charge.