Mowing in the Desert Southwest

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by desert rose gardening, Dec 7, 2006.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

This is one of my favorite times of the year, the heat is over, the winter rye is tall and green, the mornings are brisk and by 10:00am I'm putting on my shorts and tank top. :clapping: :dancing: : Its so nice to cut grass year round! Just thought i'd rub it in on you guys in the Midwest and the east coast!:rolleyes:

2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

What do you have to cut when its 100+ degrees and hasn't rained in weeks??

3. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

lawns in the desert, good idea?.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

GOT WATER? We get an inch a week (avg.). How about them apples?

No irrigation, no droughts, no water rationing, (But it's sure cold). No stealing water rights from farmers, no aqueducts, no Santa Ana winds, no fires to speak of, and what are you going to do when that tunnel under you house to Mexico collapses. Just kidding but your really close to the border.

5. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

Hose off after mowing and rain don't matter they all have sprinkler systems

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Desert....we got a better deal here we don't have the 120F all summer and we still have nice rye to cut all winter. I agree that this is just about as good as it gets in mowing.

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

With the growth in the south west and the fighting over water rights I don't see how they can continue to keep up this pace of development. Especially areas like Phoenix.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Our forefathers were smarter than everyone else. We own more Colorado river water than Colorado or Nevada or Calif. We have a lot that is agriculture so as the agriculture land is gobbled up for development the homes and businesses that replace it use less than agriculture so it is a net savings.

9. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

More power to you bro'. No offense, but Id rather be kicked in the ba**s than live in the desert. I dont even like Oklahoma's dry weather. I think the guys in the Northeast got the best deal. If I lived up there, I'd be making money snowplowing. Snow is too hit or miss here in Okie land.