Mowing in the evening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bigtodd, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Bigtodd

Bigtodd LawnSite Member

Hi guys, here's one for you.

This is my first season doing any lawn care. I have 6 accounts. Two of them, I do every week, and the others I do every other week (I've read some other threads about this not being the best idea, but so far it has worked out ok, besides I'm sure I can convince them to have me do it more often once the grass starts growing again...lol).

Anyway, since I have a full time job, I have been mowing after I get out of work. I have a buddy who does the exact same thing (he has more accounts), and sometimes he is out until dark. Three of the every-other-week accounts are residences all right next to eachother. They are rental properties and have been snowplowing customers of mine for several years. A few weeks ago, one of the renters (RENT-ERS, not the guy who paid for the service) comes up to talk to me when I got done - about 6:30pm or so. We had a nice chat and then he says how strange it was that I was mowing in the evening with the kids around and such. So I said what's the difference really since the kids are out of school and home all day anyway. He says good point, but would rather not listen to my mower while he's grilling burgers. I told him my situation and that I would try to mow on my days off if at all possible, but no promises. The next time, we talked again, and I told him up front that at least for the next few times to plan on me mowing every other monday night between 5:00 and 6:30pm. He said "ok", but then this last time I heard him complaining loudly to his neighbor about me being there while he was trying to relax with a beer on his front porch.

The next two times I will be able to mow durring the day, but am I thiking too much about this?

Any thoughts?:rolleyes:

2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry about it. He don't pay the bills. Talk to the landlord about it. if the tennent doesn't pay the bill, knowingly, then forget him. if he gets too bad, time for a rate increase for pain in the butt factor.

Scot

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

yep some people ,it dont pay to be nice to. they think nice means weak, so dont try to please him . just do your job an go on. never can tell he could have a buddy in the mowing buisiness or
    something. goodluck

4. Toatlandscape

Toatlandscape LawnSite Member

You should think of the occupant of the home as the owner. The owner doesn't want to loose a paying tenant when there are many other guys out there that can get the job done while the tenant is at work. Been there this is exactly what I was told by the owner and lost the account. Just my .02

Good Luck

5. xi_bowhunter

xi_bowhunter LawnSite Member

where are you from in western mi. I am starting a business next year in the ionia area.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I'm in NJ, and many fathers get home after 5, eat and mow their own lawn after 6. I've been mowing for almost 20 years and don't start till about 4:30 and many times finish after 8pm..... never a problem. Also, Sat. and Sun mowing is normal from april to june.
    Pete

7. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Come on guys,, When you get home after a long day at work do you want to hear your neighbor doing his lawn at night while you are trying to unwind, I know I dont, Got enough noise during the day , dont need it at night too..

If you dont make that " tenant " happy He will complain to the landlord, and if he complains enough , you can kiss those accts good by. Bad business to blow off a complaint.. Mow them on a saturday if you can ... Or find another solution and if you cant make them happy help them find a contractor or friend who can do it when they want it done. and accomodate them... ... maybe you can sub those out to your friend untill your able to accomodate their needs your self..... Happy Mowing

8. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

PS its againts the county law to work on Sundays in my neck of the woods....and there are hours of operation provided by the law here too , some towns shorter than others.. Something to check into...Cause the tennant , may get annoyed enough to call the police and complain , and he may or may not have a valid complaint....

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Golly, where I am, ALL the parks and fields are loaded every nite with baseball, Soccer, or some other "orgainized activity", with parents screaming at the ref. Even on Sunday and "after" 6 at night too, they're out there. Bascially, it's almost impossible to find a place to just play ball with your kids, just for fun.
    Pete (Basking Ridge NJ)

10. marley

marley LawnSite Member

A tenent is one thing. But if I was paying to have my lawn mowed I would not want them doing it after 6. If you tried to explain to a customer that "lawn care is my second job and I can not start until the evening" I would not blame them if they said"that is not my problem, please mow at a decent hour".