Mowing in the morning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JaysLawnServices, Apr 23, 2013.

1. JaysLawnServices

JaysLawnServices LawnSite Member

Do you guys mow in the morning when the lawn is slightly wet? Will it bag or do you just mulch?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I will try not to cut til it is dry but if I have to I usually double cut the clumpy areas
  3. DoubleClutch

DoubleClutch LawnSite Member

My self i try and get the first lawn done after the dew has burnt off. Less clumping and less chance to spin tires on slope's. But I am new at this but learning fast.
  4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

If you're bagging, it will clean up fine. Heavy to empty the bags, yes. Whatever you do, you don't want to mulch it. You'll have a mess that will take forever to clean up.
  5. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I have cut a few lawns while in a down pour. Had to get them done. It clumped but surprisingly enough, the deck was spotless from the water washing it clean!
  6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

back in 93 flood I mowed in the rain had to rained everyday for 2 weeks suck went back after rain stop
    to clean up

General rule I rather wait till dew is off But with some my routes you cant, But when dew is on, I'll trim some my big accounts. Then go back and mow. So there no time being wasted waiting on the dew .
  7. bln

bln LawnSite Senior Member

I go to the neighborhood with the most accounts in it. We whip and edge everything first then go back and cut. I also know that when we have to cut clumps I raise the deck a half inch and it works really well.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I just mow. Usually have the accounts that need to use the walk behind only first because of the 7 iron deck on it. Haven't had a problem with dew with that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

I like to wait till the dew is off but I'm pretty small so I can afford to wait. Once I get more buisness I'll probably start earlier.
  10. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes you just have no choice. Same with wet from the rain. Just make sure the cutting blades are super sharp, or you will get a ragged cut that is unprofessional.