1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing in the morning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JaysLawnServices, Apr 23, 2013.

1. JaysLawnServices

JaysLawnServices LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the input. I usually just wait until the dew has just burned off, but when it's a rainy week, you just have to sometimes.
  2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I like to schedule lawns that aren't real thick and lush for first thing in the mourning. Those that are really thick I mow later in the day to allow them to completely dry out, doesn't always happen with the rain. lol Takes a little longer when wet but you'll figure out the little tricks, like slowing down so the clumps don't fall as much. Turning the blades off somewhere it doesn't matter when your done, it often makes a mess.
  3. CreativeLawncareSolutions

CreativeLawncareSolutions LawnSite Silver Member

Blades spinnin at 8 am unless it's raining.
  4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I will finish a lawn that I am mowing if it starts to rain after I started and it is a light rain. One of the complaints I often hear from customers is that they did not like that their old LCO would mow in the rain and damage their lawn.

I always wait for the lawns to dry in the morning to prevent leaving clumps all over.

I schedule mowing Monday through Thursday. Friday is for rain delays and rainouts. No rain outs then Friday's are for up sell work.
  5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

BP blower to blow apart any clumps: costs less time than double cutting. Folks LOVE double cutting, even when dry...it always looks nice(r)...but I don't bid &/or I'm not getting paid to mow twice.
  6. JaysLawnServices

JaysLawnServices LawnSite Member

Excellent idea! And I'm definitely not getting paid for two mows either.
  7. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

I've had to cut in the pouring rain. My mowers will only take so much then they'll start spitting and sputtering.
    Posted via Mobile Device