Mowing in the rain

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Frontstreetlawns, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

I keep hearing people say not to mow in the rain, i was wondering, how many of you dont mow in the rain, wear im from if you dont work in the rain your not in buissness, i put different blades on for mowing in the rain, in fact gravely and ariens test there mowers in my county because of our climate patterns

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If there is puddles in the road we dont mow. It leaves tires marks in the lawns/takes longer to clean up and the customers complain. If it's gonna be rainy on and off all week we try to get out while its not coming down hard.

3. Frontstreetlawns

were do you live? and what types of grass do you have, bc the only time i leave muddy tracks is if its late fall and lots of rain like a week straight

4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in Connecticut we have a few grasses, Kentucky bluegrass ,Fescue,Ryegrass..The soil might be different i dont know. We dont use really havy mowers either just 48 inch cuts.

5. Frontstreetlawns

i can use the push mower just find but a zero turn or anything like that i tear up the yards with a little rain

6. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it depends on what type of equipment you have. If you have a belt-driven wb the wet conditions could wear the belts down faster. We'll mow in the rain, but we like to give it a day normally.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my biggest complaint with my toro wb,s is that the belts get trashed if you mow when wet. i will mow with the 21 if i have too . lawnboys are great in wet grass. the worst part is the cleanup. it takes longer if you can do it at all. sometimes its best just to hang it up and admit defeat for the day

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Same here, if the road is WET I don't mow. I mean, puddles...maybe a few small ones or the few that refuse to drain...
    If it's physically raining, I don't mow.

If it's been raining like NUTS and I absolutely HAVE to cut grass, then I leave the house 20 minutes after I am fairly certain the rain has STOPPED and the sun MUST be out or coming out. To say the least, the roads should be drying (half-dry, whatever) by the time I get to the first house, and this is push-come-to-shove.

It's not just the yards are messier, but on a belt-drive mower, once the drive belts get wet, it's all over but the crying. Nothing is more frustrating than a 300-pound mower that refuses to move, except perhaps its counterpart, the 500-lb floatdeck... All it took is ONE too many times I got the mower stuck in the mud, I'm a fair maniac about cutting wet stuff but too wet is too wet.

One thing helps keep the customers happy is I don't charge extra for this inconvenience... A day or two they wait is a day or two the 30-some dollar fee is postponed :)

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

We run mulch kits on our 36" units and they have a hard time with the wet grass. So we may try to change the route to us our 44" and larger units so as to throw the grass. Than the rain is not too much of a problem. (unless it gets really heavy, than we clean the inside of the trailer till is slows down)

What we have to watch for in the clay of North Carolina is that the soil does not get too saturated. A long rain will soften the soil so much that we can not put a mower on it any more. It will rut very bad. And with the poor drainage we may be shut down the next day too even though the sun is out.

But wait a few days and it will be concrete again:D

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

we mow in the rain When it rains do the bills stop comming in?