1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing in the rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JLC, May 2, 2001.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I think this is my last resort. I don't know about you all, but I've got lawns scheduled for yesterday and each day (except Sunday) the rest of the week. The forcast is for rain the rest of the week. I see no choice but cut in the rain. How do you guys approach this? Is there any specific things you tell a customer if he complains? Any tips on mowing in rain/keeping decks clean and the biggest, how do you blow the clipping off the wet cement?

Any input/discussion would be great

Ben Johnson
    Johnson Lawn Care
  2. RAIN, just be happy your somewhere thats getting rain.
  3. JLC

from IA

Don't get me wrong this is good, but I'm just wondering how others handle the situation.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just tellim in a buisiness way its not ideal but to keep
    things under control its necessary. now your job is to mow them without tearing them up.not easy. you might tell them that as long as you are not leaving thick clumps of grass
    not much danger of damaging lawn.most homeowners are told specificaly not to mow wet, so you need to adress that in a way that works.
    luck and send the rain on over here.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

its a good problem to have. the lawns here without irrigation are already burning. need rain bad.
  6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We work in the rain if we have to, but not if it's lightning. I saw a period about 12 years ago where it rained every day at least some, for a 2 week period in the spring. This is when I first tried double blades. :)

The best thing to do is cut it at least 1/2" higher than normal and then hope it is dry the next week so you can bring it down to the normal length or just leave it higher for the summer dry months. Cutting it higher makes less clippings to deal with which helps out a lot.

I had a few customers complain at first, but once they found out I can make a law look good cutting it in the rain, they never complained about this again. I tell them just because it's raining, I can't skip a week to cut it. What if it's raining the next time it is due to be cut? What a mess that will be. They will understand usually. :)

7. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

Two weeks ago, we were cutting when it was sleeting and light snow flurries. It had rained the previous week on the same day. The third week I turned the route around and cut my normal first people last and last people first just so it would look better on the third cut. One thing I have found to be very effective is to use the blower to spread the clippings out, this works good on wet grass and also thick lawns. I always do this on ones I have to do a double cut on which I've had many of those lately due to late customers signing on.
  8. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I would be very happy to cut in the...what's that called? Oh yea, RAIN. We desperately need some in south Florida.

I would not get to far behind if it's not a heavy rain. With my ZTR, (Exmark Lazer), I can cut fine with wet grass. You know when the wet grass is building up by the sound, (pitch), of the engine. Then pick a far corner of the property and disengauge blades while at high rpm and the buildup will sluff off. Then pedal to the metal and repeat as necessary. Go back over the wet piles of down-sluffed grass to finish.
    Thank the good LORD you have such a problem. Very dry still in many parts of the country.
    As to blowing off wet grass from cement, any hand held blower is absolutely useless for that. Just not enough velocity. Try a high end back pack blower like Shindaiwa EB630.
    Good luck this season!

[Edited by Bassman on 05-02-2001 at 09:29 PM]
  9. JLC

from IA

I don't know what the deal is lately, but were getting swamped. Check the central Iowa forcast...rain every day. Eric, this has got to be headed your way, heads up.
  10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

JLC, we have plenty of room for some rain. :)

It has been in the mid to upper 80's here lately and very windy which has dried things out big time. We are ready for it.

This is just what the people along the Mississippi River need. More rain with record level floods. :mad: