1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing in the rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, May 11, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys do if it rains all week? here in Michigan we've got chance of rain everyday for like the next week. Today it's misting a little bit and I've been mowing, some lawns have bad clumping, others are looking ok.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Unless its pouring we just mow mow mow mow. It is raining here and we cut got in from cutting. We decided to stop only because its suppose to be nicer tomorrow and out of our 70 lawns we only have 2 left and they are side by side to each other. So we will mow those tomorrow and do some other oddball stuff.
  3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Mow in between the rains as soon as they stop. It sucks and not much you can do.
  4. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

I cashed it in for the day Jeep. I could be out doing a few, but Im small enough yet where I can gamble and bulk up tomorrow and Saturday...and end up working Sunday at the commercials.

Eventually and ultimately theyll get cut wet....what are ya gonna do....
  5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same forecast for here. All u can do is mow in between the heavy rain and try to get as much as possible done. My customers understand i cant control the weather and don't complain but it still sucks when it finally drys up and the grass is extra long. Ill be happy to finish half my route this week could be worse though we could have a drought.
  6. Today we were mowing in kind of a light mist. I got finished and back to the truck just before it started to downpour. My son wasn't so lucky. He had to finish in a duck drownder.
    He finally gets back to the truck wet and chilled. I ask if he wanted to get some lunch. He said no, that he'd taken a break earlier in the company's break room and had a sandwitch and some chips! He said "You know, I'm almost sorry I ate that sandwitch. I'd have finished before the downpour." I just laughed.
    He didn't have to get wet. We have Gore-Tex suits with rubber boots and gloves. He just didn't stop to put them on.
    We only stop for lightning. But then we're set up to mow wet grass. Deep decks, high lift blades, flotation tires.
    Heck! If we didn't mow in the rain we would never be on schedule. In fact it's let up quite a bit and my pants legs are dry, I'm going back to work.

7. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Man you guys are soldiers....

Well I ended up mowing all day. About 9 hours - got the whole 19 accounts done. Rain barely touched us, just a few periods of misting.

My titon deck handles tall wet grass like a champ! Didn't bog down once, just had a @ssload of clippings all over the place
  8. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

If I cant see where I am going then I stop. If the rain is steady, cut. Just takes a bit longer to blow the mess away. Gator blades on my gravelys cut it good today.
  9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt be in the mowing business if i lived where it rained that much. I hate everything being wet and covered in gobs of nasty soggy grass. Im glad rain is usually only a problem in the spring here.
  10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

ya, it's not looking good until the first part of next week:cry: O well, we will just have to bust ba$$s next week!!!