Mowing in the Rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Jun 15, 2002.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Do you keep mowing if it starts to rain? Do you start the next job if it's raining? If so, what is the point you stop?

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Do a search on that and I do remember therr are a couple threads on that. Any way I stop only when it is severly poring or if there is lightning.

3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I will at least try to finish the job I'm on if it starts to rain. your going to get wet loading equip anyway, might as well finish so you don't have to come back. I only go to the next job if I'm behind on my schedule. I can asorb maybe up to 2 days behind if I work into the weekend.(HATE to do THAT) If its raining alot in the morning I won't go, but if it quits I will go and mow wet grass. Its been really wet and rainy this year, more than normal, and I have only been upto one and a half days behind.

Are We Having Fun Yet???

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

yea do a search . an if u find some ,send it my way.. i been searching the skys for what seems like 2 months now.:D

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

obviously, we all must stop with lightning

but rain, we go on. i'll likely get nailed for saying this, but we gotta get thru the list even if quality suffers. As long as the job is good enough to not result in a phone call, im satisfied. and i tell the guys that, too.

if we stop, then we start to push days, fri cuts go to sat and we'll get calls anyway.and then stuff to be done sat gets pushed to who knows when, resulting in more calls. much easier to just cut in rain and hope for the best

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We don't like to, but sometimes, you have no choice. If it's at the end of the week and I know we can catch up on Saturday, lots of times I will wait. If it's raining on Monday, usually we will mow cause I hate getting behind that early in the week (especially if the forecast is for more rain later on in the week, too).

I don't know why, but I am always way more tired at the end of the day from mowing in the rain then not. Dunno. Maybe it's just me.

7. Yah, gotta mow in the rain as long as no lightning-

how do I know if its raining too much and time to quit

A guy will float by in a big boat with a bunch o' animals

8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the lightning is not close by. We ran into a squall this A.M. at our clinics. Looked like night-time. Real dark. Raining so hard we could not even see the street. But NO lightning.
    We waited in the truck!
    As the cell passed over the lightning was on the backside of the storm.
    We got back in the truck!
    We got blue sky after awhile and it was still raining. We started anyway and got it done.
    We'll try to send some rain up to you N.C. members!

9. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Breakin' the law! Breakin' the law! Mowin' in the rain is FUN!!!

10. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

I don't mow in the rain unless I already started the job and need to finish. Otherwise I quit for the day. When the grass is wet it clumps and is extremely sticky and always leaves the yard looking really bad and clumps kill clumps of grass. Wouldn't reccomend it unless absolutely necessary.