1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing in the rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BruinLawn, May 9, 2013.

1. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

Do you guys mow in the rain? I don't have a problem with it. It just leaves clumps of grass in areas and blowing off the pavement is a pain in the butt.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

yea if its not a heavy rain. I use a scag cheetah with 34hp motor, i was cutting all day, and cutting a lot off grass, motor didn't even bog, it did clump some, but if i go over it again its pretty good, unless that knocks some clumps that are stuck under the deck then that discharges, but then i just blow the few clumps out with the br600 and the lawn looks mint. i cut a lawn today where i took almost 6-7 inches and it came out great....even in the rain. the scag velocity deck makes a difference. i tested an exmark, not a bad cut quality, better stripe, but not the same cut, especially if there is moisture present.
  3. Joey waid

Joey waid LawnSite Member

I try not to do it unless I get caught in it. To many ruts and to many complaints if I do.
  4. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

ya all my lawns drain well, and generally don't have soft spots, one of them will get soft i'll make ruts if it rains a lot like in the spring, but that guy doesn't complain about it, it will stay wet days after the rain.
  5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Client: "Oh, I didn't think you would come today since they are calling for rain."

(looks up at cloudy, yet rain-free sky)

WTF is wrong with people?
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i mowed a lake earlier this week. everything went pretty smooth.

i have a yard that stays wet all spring no matter what. i just have to do the best i can until the summer heat dries it out enough to mow it properly.

i swear sometimes when people are making the lot of a house they put little thought into thinking the yard will have to be mowed. :laugh:
  7. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Lucky it wasn't windy or it would have been choppy and you would have scalped all the wakes. :laugh:
  8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I use the new Never-clump lawn mowers.
  9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

there were a few times i felt like i was hydroplaning across the water.:dizzy:
  10. BruinLawn

BruinLawn LawnSite Member

Yeah I don't mind mowing in the rain its just for some reason clients like to flip out about it.
    Posted via Mobile Device