Mowing in the rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Aug 3, 2003.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Its gonna be real wet this week in the northeast...not that it hasnt been u guys gonna handle it. I don't like cuttin in the rain but seems we won't have a choice.
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm in louisiana and we have had lots of rain, i would rather mow in the rain than get behind.
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Gonna do what we have always done. Work right through it.

What choice do I have?
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Same as Glan.
    No other choice.
  5. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

we push in the rain if we have to riding. we do not bag on the riders.
  6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Sums it up pretty good.....:D

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Right now this morning I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to plan for this week...I dont mind cutting in the run but my concern is that the ground is saturated and even when very careful its too easy to scuff/rut the turf....what a year we've had....but its still better than the drought of last year....
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

again ill suggest that u put standard lift blades on and if u can get a good cut ,,,cut your rpm a little. this can help keep your deck from clogging up. jmo
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My eXmark does a fabulous job in tall, wet grass with little to no deck packing if discharging (using single regular lift blades).
    When I first brought it home it had rained a good bit and my yard had a full weeks' growth on it, had been raining alot and was tall. Went out with this beast and it cut it great at full speed, no clumps or mess!!! What a great machine!
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We won't cut in the rain for the simple fact, that inevitably, it makes a mess. Somewhere - sometime. Getting caught in it is one thin, but we aren't going out in to it. Most importantly, the MAIN reason we miss don't mow in these conditions, and this week is a prime example, is that it is not just calling for showers and rain. It is severe T-storms. There is no way that we are getting out there wjen there is that much electricity in the air, out in open places OR under trees when it's is VERY possible to be struck by lightening from 10 miles away. It can and DOES happen - all the time. We're not talking about a shock or a sprained ankle here, folks...
    To be out there with emminent Thunderstorms is just plain nonsense. Be careful, and keep an eye to the sky!