mowing in the wet?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by foo569, May 26, 2001.

1. foo569

foo569 LawnSite Member

:confused:Do any of you guys mow in wet conditions? i mean it poured all last night . Are you still at your first job by 8 in the morning or do you wait a couple of hours to let it dry.if you do mow how is the cleanupis there wet clumps of grass stuck to the driveways and sidewalks.

thanks,
    Jonathan

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If it's that bad I let it dry up a little. I hate to make green tracks all over the driveway.

Of course we really haven't had that problem too much this year:(

3. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i will usually go(although all accounts are different)sometimes takes a bit longer but in the case of multiple days of rain i will not lose too much ground compared to those that do not mow at all

4. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Although I prefer not to, I can mow most of my yards if they are wet. It takes longer and I may not be able to use the ZTR but I can mow them. For me if it is actively raining, forget it!

I have a few yards that are hilly and very poorly excavated. They give me a fit when it is dry, I won't go near them unless it is totally dry.

Mark

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of my accounts are able to be done in wet conditions. It rained every day this week. Some of the time it was raining as I was cutting. All my jobs get double and triple cut if I have to so that there are no clippings left to be seen. I can't believe the way some LCO's leave these properties when it is wet out. What a joke! You need to take extra caution on where the clippings get blown as not to lead to more cleanup work when it's wet. As for me, I don't cross driveways or sidewalks even when it is dry out much less wet, so that isn't as problem. I like to think I take extra caution to do a good job and have had nothing but good feedback from my customers about my work, hoping it will generate more work in the future. The only problem I think I may encounter is people are so cheap sometimes, that they would rather pay the butcher that cuts their lawn and bit@# about him than to pay someone more to do an excellent job. Not always but probably alot. Whatever, those are the people I wouldn't want anyways.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We too had a wet week here. It rained at least some everyday this week, but we got all of our mowing done at the regular time. If it's not lightning out, we are mowing, unless it is a down pour.

Yesterday 8 miles from here they got 4" of hail and had to get the city plows out to plow the streets. They had hail as big as golf balls, but I'm glad we didn't get that. ;)

It was a rough week since the grass is seeding and wet.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

lately it seems mowing in the rain is necessary. i too had a wet week and yesterday they predicted breaks in the rain. i cut two and then i poured. i got soked. then the sun came out and i mowed till 9 under spotlights. in some situations you just have to mow. rain is predicted through tuesday so id be way behind if didnt. most lawns can be mowed wet, but just take extra caution turning and blowing clippings.

8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll mow in the rain (no lightning) and thank God for it!

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I got caught mowing in a heavy downpour yeasterday. So heavy that the covered hydro drive belt right below and behind the seat (like the lazer)was slipping. I figured I was wet already, might as well keep mowing as long as it was cutting right. We need the rain so I wont complain.

10. script

script LawnSite Member

Have not had much rain here this year so it hasn't been a problem unfortunately. But if I'm cutting already and it starts raining I'll keep cutting as long as theres no lightening and the lawns still look good without leaving mudtracks through the yard. If it's raining before I leave in the morning and I'm not backed up I'll just stay in and take a break until it stops.

Bobby