1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mowing in wet grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hotpan, Feb 22, 2006.

1. hotpan

hotpan LawnSite Member

I was reading another thread where someone asked if their mowing equipment was "good in wet grass".

I'm just starting this business and I guess it's pretty obvious that people do cut in wet grass. Do you try to avoid it if possible, like maybe delay a cut or do you focus on staying on schedule, even when wet??

If you do cut on wet grass, are there any specific 36" walk behind mowers better than others in wet grass?

Thanks all!
  2. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

My biggest concern when mowing in wet grass are the horrible marks often left. Make sure your clocks are set to not water the day that you will be mowing, or the evening before you will be at the house. As far as rain, I cant give you an answer for that. We haven't had any in 126 days ;)
  3. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

If i didnt mow in the rain i would be out of buissness, but i dont use a zero turn in the rain, only walk behinds, i guess its just my area but what do you expect in nw wash. the rainy capital of the world
  4. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Unless it's a downpour we cut. If we waited for the grass to dry we would be out of business. I see a lot of people are afraid to mow when it's wet. Just use a 3-point turn so you don't tear up the turf.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

commercials and large properties i can mow in rain, but many residentials firmly beleive that you cant mow wet grass, and you dont change most peoples minds.... so them i hold of on.... they wont listen at all that my toro is designed to cut thick wet grass....

also many belt driven walk behinds, if it gets wet enough the belts will slip....
  6. bearcatlawn

bearcatlawn LawnSite Member

like somebody else said, leave the zero turn on the trailer and use the walk behinds. We sometimes take our velkes off and walk the property and be careful every time you turn around.
  7. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here. But our rain is only in May & June normally. I will not attempt spring cleanup in the rain though.
  8. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

We try not to mow in the rain or if the grass is really wet.
    If you do go slow and plan for extra time. Don't cut a lot off either.
  9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Get a John Deere Commercial ZTR or WB with the 7 Iron deck....wet grass will NEVER be an issue again...PERIOD.
  10. gabfer

gabfer LawnSite Member

Trying to get in 10 posts so that I can pm.:usflag: