1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mowing Is Under Contract. Customer Calls And Says, "Don't Think It Needs Mowing..."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcw615, May 13, 2010.

1. mcw615

mcw615 LawnSite Senior Member

Any suggestions on word choice on how to respond to this. A contract is a contract. I say the lawn will be mowed every week, and bi-weekly August and November. Your part of the agreement is you pay $XX.XX each month. A contract is not built to cater to change orders of doesn't need mowing this week, credit a mowing to the monthly price.

I don't take calls after 5:30, but just listened to the message from one 5 minutes ago where the customer said, "I don't think it's going to need mowing tomorrow since we are just getting some rain for the first time in 3 weeks, so call me in the morning before you come out here." ((My guess is to if we skip because it doesn't need it be sure to give her a credit, if not then if she is paying for us to mow it then mow it 'even if it doesn't need it' in HER opinion.))

Anyone have anything come to mind on how to/how you politely respond to this request without playing these credit games??? It's a $24 lawn, I mean seriously....

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Keep charging her the contract price no matter what. Once you break the contract then there is no contract. No since mowing grass that hasn't grown any since you mowed it last if the customer doesn't want it mowed and you agree that it doesn't need mowing

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

Just say I won't mow it if you don't want me to but I'm still going to have to charge for it.

Unless you really want to break the contract with your customer.

4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer try this same thing last week. I don't have a contract though. I simply told her that it had rained and it would need mowing. Its simply a case of the woman trying to save a dollar. She kinda gave me the "well I will call you when I need it mowed." I have mowed for this lady for 6 years. I called her bluff and told her that I had a few people that wanted me to give them estimates for weekly mowing and I understood that she wanted it mowed when she said, so I was going to let her get someone to mow it when she wanted it mowed. She asked me if I was trying to get rid of her and I told her no I was trying to make her happy and help her find someone that will mow her yard when she wanted it. I had to mow it when I could no exceptions. She said just mow it when you want to.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So the grass isn't growing?

6. Cboy7

Cboy7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Fl

You simply explain that you dont charge extra when it rains like crazy and you are cutting so much heavy growth. It is legitimately more work, but you do not charge her so when it is less work and needs no cutting, its the same thing.
    dont back off the contract

7. Raymond S.

Raymond S. LawnSite Senior Member

I just dropped one of those today. Lady put off the first mowing of the season when I was in the driveway. Next week it was horrible. Took me over an hour to bag the property (emptied my Exmark tripple bagger 4 times) I was doing a dethatch down the street monday and she came down and said to skip her because it didn't grow last week. Mind you after one week of growth I had to double cut her last week at 3 1/2", now she tells me it's (holding her hands up showing a wee bit of space between her fingers.) She got chitty when I tried to explain to her about the extra time it takes etc. She said "Well you were only here for 40 minutes last week. That's when I knew it was time to drop her when she starts timing me. I said if I spent 40 minutes on every $30 yard I'd be out of business.
    Long story short, I try to avoid these type of customers. The time spent dealing with them and the headaches they cause could be better spent maintaining machinery or making an extra phone call to a property manager during the day.

8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

$24 lawn eesh!!!

9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, continue to charge her and if she still gives you grief then drop her for breaking the contract !!

10. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

this is why i only do irrigated lawns