mowing large lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by boba, May 14, 2005.

1. boba

boba LawnSite Member

I was asked to give a price a mowing a private estate. I measured the lawn area to be 18.2 a. When a property is this large should I charge my standard hourly rate or dicount it?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

No discount that kind of turf will rack the hours on a ztr.

3. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

charge him $ 728/ mow

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

For me it would depend if it were alot of open areas to mow with little or no trimming, if so then maybe a discount of some sorts. But giving the same are with a 1/2 mile of edging with a stick edger or a few hundred trees to mow and trim around then the regular price may be in line or even higher. To some it up, it depends on the degree of difficulty to mow

5. SCAG POWER

SCAG POWER LawnSite Senior Member

No Discounting no matter how big the area is. If they own that much of a yard they can afford too pay the price you want. If you cant get your price walk and let some else ruin their equipment on it.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a couple of places almost that size (11-15 acres). Properties that size predominatly go low per acre. I would figure on about $450 - $550 to mow. Sorry but as the job gets bigger, the $ per acre decreases...that is just the way it is.

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 20 acre - and we mow it for $25 per acre - Pretty flat - a land scape company mulches all the trees, so trimming is minimal. Have on flex deck set up to trim curbs on my eXmark WB. Works good.

You have to realize that it would take 10 $50 yards to make the same, and you would then have 10 load unloads, and windshield time. When you pull up to a 20 acre property, your blades are turning for a period of time, no interuptions. Truck is not burning any fuel, Overhead is plain and simple (LESS)

Thanks Brad

8. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

25 an acre????? That wouldnt even pay for the gas used to get there and back and in the equipment.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What's wrong with $25 an acre when you can get 4-5 acres down in an hour? Do the math...

10. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Because I cant get 4-5 done in an hour. Not everyone has 72 inch ZTRs at their disposal.