1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mowing Larger Areas With A Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hawg City Lawns, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering how many of you use a walkbehind to mow 4+ acres? Of course there would have to be a sulky involved but has anyone done this? I have one yard that is right over 4 acres and im pretty sick of using my tractor on it. Its the only yard i have that is over 1 acre so its kinda a pain in the butt. Its very wide open with not one tree but there is a drainage ditch that is about 100 yards long along the road with a slope a little over 15 degrees. How would a 32"-36" walkbehind work on a yard like this?
  2. SOS Landscaping

SOS Landscaping LawnSite Member

32-36" walk behind youll be there for a hefty amount of time. I was forced to use my 54" walkbehind the other day on a 2 acre property with a lot of hills and objects... took me just under an hour. so Ill say with your size machine youll probably be there for a good 4hours....
  3. Hawg City Lawns

yeah so im not gaining anytime using my tractor itll take me right around 2 hrs and 30 min.
  4. TPS

TPS LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

4.5 hours yesterday with 32" walk behind, no sulky. Lots of trees and about 4-5 acres.
  5. brandtb1

brandtb1 LawnSite Member

How big is the tractor? I would think a small walk behind would take at least 1 hour per acre. Of course if it takes a long time to get the tractor and extra gas to go back to the shop and then out to the yard, it could be worth it. Another option would be to get a bigger walk behind if you could fit it on your other properties.
  6. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

If the ditch is wide enough and not too deep the walk behind will work ok. I use a trimmer on narrow ditches where a mower is hard to use.
  7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It takes me 2 hours with a 40" and a sulky running as fast as controllable to mow 2 acres.
  8. Hawg City Lawns

its a 48" tractor but im running around 1/2 to 3/4 speed because theres alot of dips and bumps
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Used to. I ran a 52" JD wb and cut an apartment complex for years that used to take me around 6 hours. I then went to two wb's (identical to the first) before going to a rider.
  10. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

an hour and a half on my 52 sufer on a good 2 acres. for a lwan as big as urs, id get a rider, at least a 48. if u wanna keep busy then ya a 36 would work great. lol