Mowing/Leaf Removal in Texas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell36, Feb 25, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

i'm in kansas did a bid the other day for mowing and leaf removal...the landlord is from texas and thought my pricing was high...very nice lady and we aren't busy yet so we negotiated a price for the leaf clean up at 175 when i originally told her 225, then she asked about mowing...knowing what i knew then i said 35 for mowing when usually i would have said 40 for this lawn...maybe a little larger than a typical lawn but not much, it was also a wide open corner lot with no fence...she said that would go for about 25 in texas...

was kinda curious, is the market really that low in texas?

2. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I'm not from tx but if you want to believe everything someone says then I guess it is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. finneylawns

finneylawns LawnSite Member

I am mowing South of Houston, Texas, and I currently have a drop gate fee of $30. So my minimum for any size yard is $30. The best information that my father-in-law (my mentor) gave me when I started was "you are in the business to make money not stay busy". I have learned to charge what you think it is worth for YOU to do the job, if you are slow and need the work then negotiate and get the work to make some money.

Also I would tell her "Toto I don't think we are in Kansas anymore" or maybe in your case you are, haha. Tell her that she is welcomed to contact someone else to compair prices.

Just my 2 cents.

4. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds about right. Lots of lowballers here. Plus it never rains in hell.

5. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Yes the market is very cheap here. I do a lot of lawns for $25. The other thing is that guys here do amazing work for those prices also.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. greydog4u2

greydog4u2 LawnSite Member

just curious, how many square ft and how many trees?

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Most lawns are $25 and that includes some commericial sites.

8. jbell36

from KANSAS

i would say roughly 8-9,000...not many trees, 3 or 4...pretty wide open corner lot, no fence

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  9. jbell36

from KANSAS

yeah i understand that, and don't get me wrong, we still made good money on it...$175 for 1.5 hours...we talked about the clean-up and that was finished before we discussed the mowing price, that's when she said it seemed a little high...i still stuck with my price

it's always good to know where the markets are in different places...it seems like Texas to Florida have it pretty rough, lots of competition at low prices

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it does depend on your area. here where i live few people even get leaf cleanups. they don't pay alot of money for them if they do get them. they pay around the same price as a mowing or a little more. i usually just mulch up the leaves with my mower and i may have to make a few extra passes over it so it only takes a little longer than a regular mowing would. so on a $40 yard for mowing they would pay the same price for the leaf cleanup or maybe $50 at the most. if i told them $100-$175 they would laugh at me and tell me not to worry about doing it. that's just how it is here in alabama so i don't worry about doing all the bagging, tarping, etc. etc. i just do it the easiest way possible in order to get my money's worth out of it.